Thread: First win Gnome Monk or barbarian im not sure anymore

Default First win Gnome Monk or barbarian im not sure anymore

Got my first standard win few days ago, whit Gnome monk.

Dam lucky start in puppycave outside random vault i found boots of divine messengers caracter lvl 3 or 4.
    Took dam safely after it didint even go inside vault didint whant to take risk to die there.
    After it early game did go wery easy whit monk fist and and good PV whit my new boots.

Mid game did not go so easily found grosbow of accuray and 10+ quarrels of undead slaying so dwarwen graveyard and pyramid didint give a challenge. but after it i start to find my self in problems. god give me amulet of immunity and around lvl 20 no pick axe but ho need one when you have legs. i tried to go in fire tower i hadly make in top floor but i stand no change in temple didint even see boos i had to escape.
    need more damage and pv to survive there. So i ended up getting ROTHK and dooing ice queen quests. i tried agein fire tower around lvl 25-27, same result i had to escape =/. well i ended up dooing minotaurs maze to nowere else to go lvl up. and after it i go in water temple hardly survive even there i easily kill enemies but so low pv i ended up runnig away in low hp whitout easy way to heal up.

But then i notice that minotaurs axe dam it got hig damage nowdays. i take it in my hand only to test it and suddenly i one shot eveyting in water temple. one problem solved then i found eternium platemail litle smitting later it was +8/+15 another problem solved. And back to fire temple. i one shot everyting and didint take any damage at all. i think my monk days are behind me now =/. after it i did library to get some caos removing stuff take more from dwarf mystic and start my end dive.

to the end i didint find anyting ho get true pv value (50+) and i one shot nearly everyting. Found even wand of wishing whit 2 charges, but didint found anyway to use it what the hell i need now??? well i ended up getting 3x writing kit, amulet of life saving just in case. my last caracter get killed in mana temple from death ray even had resistance, now i one shotted archmage. and then i was in d49 down stairs.

as a monk i take all out of my pasive writer habit and i had 9 caos removing scrolls and 1 corruption what i didint whant to remove when i entered last lvl. got my last wish out of my wand didint know what i need i ended up wishing ultra healing potions. D50 was disapointment not even balors get true my armor. boss balor made around 200 damage but it go down in 4 hits. and gate was glosed. teleport wand glowing i get out in that dungeon in now time and out of this cursed walley only stopped to remove all corruption before i left.

After thought:
    Is smitting litle bit OP +8/15 armor +8/+8 brasers, +6/+7 half smitted helmet.
    is minotaurs axe LITLE BIT OP ok pain in ass to get if you dont have teleport control but way too op.
    monk was dam good class or was it barbarian whit heavy armor for not benefitting Dodge bonus and 2h axe =D.
    Last edited by spuge; 02-08-2016 at 10:19 AM.

nice!
    Monk's extra DV really helps (if you use it) for twohanded weapons
    smithing is powerful but does take a lot of time. I used to do it a lot but now i try to keep it to a minimum, maybe only up to 20-30 ingots max. and depends on situation too, if you have a char that's not strong enough for fire tower or ice caves even, can try to manage around ToHK or random dungeons kind of easily to get smithing items (or even intro to CoC)
    good wishing for writing set, makes me want to play a monk again because i forgot to write bunch of scrolls of education/defense/protection last time :>

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.PelicanPants View Post
    nice!
    Monk's extra DV really helps (if you use it) for twohanded weapons :>
    for me it was one that make my midgame really hard. ok good dv enemy dont hit you a lot but when they do it hurts and in fire tower i just cannot take too much hits from giants and elementals. ended up usein plate mail rest of game. i think one reason is i did not find even one regenating item in hole game, make healing litle pit harder. and i never liked herb farming so i didint have millions of healing herbs.

but still someting i dont know how you guys do it get stat 40+ i had all my stats 20-25.

yeah, with monk i still used a weak spear+shield a lot of times when i could cast spells or use missiles or anything

I'm usually careful with my stats, for example if DX is maxed 19/19 i'd wait until i got a couple ! of potential dexterity and train it to 25 with herbs, before drinking any potions of dexterity. maybe could just spend a little time collecting some without getting a whole lot

also pick pockets/treasure hunter combo over the game will lead to lots of stat items (and good chance for amulet, rings, or bracers of regen too)

people say pick pockets is slow but if you just do it once or twice for each eligible monster (without reading if you stole anything) you can still be going pretty fast and rack up items