Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link 2016: Sign Up and Rules Thread

Default The Weakest Link 2016: Sign Up and Rules Thread

This is the thread for signing up for the 2016 edition of The Weakest Link.

What is the Weakest Link? It is a challenge game where a team of 6 players play one character through the infinite dungeon. Players who die are knocked out. The last man or woman standing is the winner. The detailed rules of the game are in the post that follows.

If you are interested in signing up, please include a note here. Also, please let me know what version you prefer (r60, r64, or willing to play either). If you would like to volunteer to moderate one of the leagues, settle disputes and have ABSOLUTE POWER, then please say so as well. Play will begin March 1st.

If you have any questions about the rules, you can ask here. Better to ask before you start then get eliminated because you didn't understand what was going on.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 02-25-2016 at 11:47 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Here are the rules:

The game proceeds as following:

1) Players are split into teams (which we call "leagues" here). Generally, there will be r60 leagues and Steam leagues, depending on how many players of each group are interested. For Steam people, please be aware that there is a good chance that for the finals, you will have to play on r60. If you need help finding/downloading that version, please speak to me or any of the league administrators.

2) Each league will have a randomly rolled character in exploration mode starting in I:1 of the ID. This character will receive a wished-for item from the list provided below to assist you on your quest. Care should be taken not to destroy this item.

3) Players play one after another, order is defined before the start of the game. You have 2000 game turns to survive, during which you have to descend at least once. Unless special circumstances, you may not ascend. If you do, you automatically die and everyone else is free to say what a shame it was to play with you in the same competition. If you die normally (that is, sliced, diced, roasted, crushed, frozen, electrocuted, choke on vomit, etc.) you are temporarily removed from your league. What happens next is based on what happens next.

4) Player Z plays his turn and creates savefile 1. Player A loads savefile 1 but fails to live through his turn, next player B starts at the same savepoint. If he dies too, next player C starts there. If player C succeeds and survives, players A and B are removed from their league permanently. Sorry, people. However, if the whole team dies (everyone after player Z), the likely explanation is that player Z created an impossible situation. He is given a chance to play from savefile 1. If he survives, he's proposed winner of the league and that league game is over. If he doesn't, he's cast into the Abyss (removed from his league) and savefile 1 is now officially a Trial situation. All other players from the league who tried to survive from savefile 1 and failed are resurrected and the game continues from a point before save 1.

4+) In case player Z survives, the other winner is decided by the following criteria:
    1) Who descended to the deepest level wins
    2) If equal depth, the player with most experience wins
    3) If equal experience, the player with highest turncount wins
    4) Note that you aren't required to reveal this information immediately upon your death.

4++) If only two players are left, both are considered league winners and advance to the next round. They will continue playing to determine who is overall winner for that league. In this case, the Abyss is not in play: If one player dies, and the other survives, then the surviving player wins. If both players die the same turn, then the winner is determined by the criteria above.

5) The situation which caused team death is promoted to Trial category. Anyone dead from other leagues has a right to try it (only once though). If he somehow manages to complete it, he is resurrected in the league where the Trial situation appeared in the place of player who created the Trial situation.

6) The first two rounds of the game (each league player successfully (or not) played 2 rounds) must be played without intentional character crippling. Examples may include dropping valuable equipment, equipping cursed fortune cookies etc. Players who indulge in such tactics will be removed without a second chance. After two rounds are completed, you are free to do anything. In shady cases, such as: player A accuses player B of chaotic tactics during first two rounds, player B denies that his tactics are chaotic, league moderator has the final word.

A few specific cases to keep in mind

7) Last two surviving players of each league are proposed winners and get to play in the finals. Final game has only one winner.

7+) Players who die early will end up in some sort of wildcard game and will have a chance to make it back to the finals. Don't feel bad if you die early, you will have another chance.

8) You are obliged to describe your turn as thoroughly as possible. Base method is to post in the corresponding thread (these will be created). You may also record your game and upload the video somewhere, have a ttyrec on the server or do something else, but that is optional and do not eliminate the necessity to post here. Please consider this point very carefully: no one forces you to describe each individual turn, but such things as prayers, intrinsics, equipment changes, are quite important. Repeated or blatant disregard of this rule may result in your removal from your league. This is of course subjective and, as usual, league moderator has the final word.

A few specific cases to keep in mind:

8+) If you die on your turn, you may write only "I died" in order to let other players break the PC in the same pit you did.

9) There are time limits on your turn. Basically, noone wants to wait forever and this kills interest quite easily. You are supposed to complete your turn in 72 hours after the last player informed of his turn. If you have something important to do, please leave a notice here on the forums. We may wait for you, switch playing order within the league (if possible) or try to allow you to continue competition.

10) Turn count is very important. You are allowed to overplay by as maximum as 55 turns (base Recovery setting is 50). If you overplay by more you may technically be removed from your league. The decision is up to the next player and league moderator.

10+) You are allowed to make less moves if the player before has overplayed so that your 2 turns combined result in 4000 moves (practically, he played some moves for you).

11) Have fun playing. This is a entertainment for all of us, and if people start being bad sports, we are doing it wrong.

12) This is the general structure of the League I will be going with. If significantly more players arrive, this may change slightly to accommodate an extra league:

The top two players from each league advance to the finals; the top player in each league will receive a special advantage in the final... between them, they will get to decide the final character's race, class, starsign, starting item, talents as well as the order of play in the league.

All of the players who die will get to play in the wildcard league. The winner of this league will get added to the finals as well.

These are the basic rules.
    Now, about those special circumstances I've mentioned:

The river rule: if you happened to generate a river, which can't be possibly crossed (with all prayers, healing potions etc), you are given a right to regenerate the level, that is go straight back to staircase, go up and immediately go down. This does not count as descending and you should then descend properly.

Other stuff:
    -League moderators do not (obviously) play in the league which they moderate. League moderators have final say in all disputes. If you don't like their ruling, feel free to whine about it in the appropriate thread.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 03-01-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Sign me up! Looks like fun! R64

Count me in. r64 preferred, but I can play any version.

Sign in. (r64/r60)

Well, i would like 'ABSOLUTE POWER' , but I am not so sure it would be wise to give it to me....
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Any version, including r65 (-;

Count me in, preferably R60.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I'm signing up. I'd prefer r60. I can also moderate a league if you want but it's no big deal if I don't get to be a mod.

I suppose I'd prefer r64 but I guess I could do r60. Sign me up! I guess I should start practicing to keep up with these guys.

I don't have much free time these days, but oh well, a TWL is a TWL, I just love that format... so sign me up!

I prefer r64, but I'm OK with playing r60 if it's more convenient for the player distribution among leagues.