Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [TWL 2016]League of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    it's a Trial.
    in my understanding (and as it was understood in the past) Trial occurs only if there is direct cause in the saved situation causing impassable situation.

Let say if someone saved on I11 and when one guy dies to exploding rune on I11, another I12 to vortex, third starves on I13... there is no substance for trial and results get sorted on tiebreakers.

In the nutshell, if at least one player descended in reasonable shape (sick, poisoned at 2 HP probably does not count) all the trial/abyss thing is not valid.

edit: In case of something like
    Code:
    So, I've left char on I20 downstairs...
    But he is naked (left stuff on I19)...
    Except two cursed fortune cookies he is wielding...
    By the way god is pissed to the point of divine bolts.
    Oh, and char is Hungry!..
    I would say that the guy who left the char is welcome to prove the char was in reasonable shape or else.(I don't think that situation happened in previous years at that extreme level and there is probably some historic basis [based mostly on Darren's indecisiveness]to call the situation clean).
    Last edited by Soirana; 03-06-2016 at 06:37 AM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    in my understanding (and as it was understood in the past) Trial occurs only if there is direct cause in the saved situation causing impassable situation.

Let say if someone saved on I11 and when one guy dies to exploding rune on I11, another I12 to vortex, third starves on I13... there is no substance for trial and results get sorted on tiebreakers.

In the nutshell, if at least one player descended in reasonable shape (sick, poisoned at 2 HP probably does not count) all the trial/abyss thing is not valid.
    Reading the rules as written, there does not seem to be wiggle room. If all the players die after my last save, and I don't last 2000 turns, then it is a trial and I'm in the Abyss.

However, if the whole team dies (everyone after player Z), the likely explanation is that player Z created an impossible situation. He is given a chance to play from savefile 1. If he survives, he's proposed winner of the league and that league game is over. If he doesn't, he's cast into the Abyss (removed from his league) and savefile 1 is now officially a Trial situation. All other players from the league who tried to survive from savefile 1 and failed are resurrected and the game continues from a point before save 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Reading the rules as written, there does not seem to be wiggle room. If all the players die after my last save, and I don't last 2000 turns, then it is a trial and I'm in the Abyss.
    I think we will figure out once that happens. Making that not too happen is a goo idea
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

In the previous editions of TWL, indeed all the trials were due to concrete reasons (e.g. the mythical Trial of the Dark Orc Tribe, etc.) But if a lot of players die from the same save, even if there is no such reason, I wouldn't mind a "Trial of General Nastiness Because I:11 And Surroundings Just Becomes Too Damn Hard". I don't know if 5 can be considered a lot, though. I think it may be on the fringe.

Anyway, it's up to the organizer and/or moderator to interpret the rules. I'll be happy either way.

And yes, I did keep the data for the tiebreaker.

EDIT: I'm realizing now that a trial means the player who caused it is cast into the Abbyss... then maybe it doesn't make much sense in this case as I don't really think Mobius did anything wrong. Still, it's interpretable, of course.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 03-06-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    In the previous editions of TWL, indeed all the trials were due to concrete reasons
    I don't know if Darren wrote that rule, but he meant that originally.
    http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...=5936#post5936

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...=5938#post5938
    [the question was not fully raised, cause creator of situation survived, but I would say situation is close enough to be relevant]

Overall, whatever Jelly prefers, since he defines rules this year.

I'm kind of surprised you guys are finding life so deadly - when I looked at the character screenshot last it looked like you were in pretty good shape. In fact, it looked like Yang was pretty comparable to Ying stat-wise or better.
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE

Quote Originally Posted by zliplus View Post
    I'm kind of surprised you guys are finding life so deadly - when I looked at the character screenshot last it looked like you were in pretty good shape. In fact, it looked like Yang was pretty comparable to Ying stat-wise or better.
    Ying has the Healing skill, though, which makes a *huge* difference in a challenge like this. I'd probably take -4 to all stats in exchange for Healing.

And the 110 speed of raven-borns is a decent advantage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Ying has the Healing skill, though, which makes a *huge* difference in a challenge like this. I'd probably take -4 to all stats in exchange for Healing.

And the 110 speed of raven-borns is a decent advantage as well.
    Don't forget being able to regenerate piety for more prayers. Low on HP? Spam the u key instead of w.
    I also suspect some bad luck for various folks.

I'm on my turn. Is it "chaotic" to descend a set of down stairs on the turn before the last, in order to make it harder for the next player to survive the "descend at least once" requirement? I remember this being pretty common non-chaotic practice in past TWLs, and am just wondering why I always stand on the down stairs when I begin the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    I'm on my turn. Is it "chaotic" to descend a set of down stairs on the turn before the last, in order to make it harder for the next player to survive the "descend at least once" requirement? I remember this being pretty common non-chaotic practice in past TWLs, and am just wondering why I always stand on the down stairs when I begin the turn.
    You can stop wherever you want on the level without it being chaotic.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.