Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adom boycott

Default adom boycott

Im tired recently and not playing adom since the stiries i was writting year or half a year ago - where i played in p23 with some lucky mist elf assassin who found like 4 ring shops yet 2 potions shops in near surface levels and started djini production machine by dipping rings and wishing for exchange

ye, so that was the story - then i heard that in later versions this djini production was artifficially cutted down by some binary flag,
    which make me sorry

now i rethinked the thing (as seen it took a half an year for this though - thats also why i think it is important):

the thought:

i want to partially boycitt adom for doing this as i think it was bad choice making the game worse and lowering old level of it
    Why i think so - i think that this djini production was so tiremaking and hard to do (regarding that only avaliable for insanelly spoiled ones), yet so amazing fine, that cutting it
    off is really not needed /BAD
    Really it is hard so if someone will do it all why to not give hima an award from it - still if someone dont want to use it and do some more lawfull play he can do it - and will do

I must say i very value such kind of hacks in adom and adom without it is worse adom for kids (I say this kind of hacks as there are probably more of that in adom before, though i dont know it,
    I only remember the solution with breeding and eating clawbbugs
    - which was allso fine imo (though far easier and 'powerfull' than this djini dipping) - skipping the details as i feel i turn a bit into confusion what i think on it- i may say i much more liked the old open and hacky adom where more options for stats
    rising was working etc, hack avaliable etc - if someone would like to balance the game it could balance it other way, than just removing hacks

this all makes me to boycot adom partially 0 i still be lurking on it
    but my heart was somewhat broken i must say, and im not sure if it can be glued easily - so you adom makers got an option - rise it as high as it was or no, i know it is not easy but wjhat else can i say

regs,
    fir

Oh my, how will the ADOM community possibly cope without you?

If I understood your grammatically broken ramble correctly, your complaint is that instead of being able to dip nine rings into a PoEX to make a RoDS, now we are only able to get one RoDS this way? Well, if that's worth boycotting the game for you, go ahead. I, for one, like the change - it may not be possible to get so many wishes, but on the other hand, there is a greater chance of getting that one single wish - which is generally all that I need when I am trying to get an AoLS for an ultra, or whatever.

OP post sounds wrong on so many levels. Not only the method served no purpose other than making an archmage / popping out overpowered characters quite early into the game, but also there's no reason to blame the fix quality when it's used in the right way with a stack of items(dip a stack and get a lot of different items for ultra grinding if you're unlucky with the loot you got).

It's not about the game losing its oldschool feeling, it's a single bug. Might aswell whine about 500 movement cost 7LBs then, since you're at it?

Can't say there never were any bad balance changes though. I really disliked what was done to the maze, for example. Now it's an optional location with nerfhammered rewards, never visited in quick runs because of the amount of corruptions/stat drains/magic mapping needed (magic mapping wasn't needed in 1.1.1!) and useless in long(ultra) runs since there's TotRR/other melee weapons. 1.2.0 post-60 doesn't usually have other valuable rewards except for the axe. Well, -1 location.
    Last edited by Caleb; 03-13-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Good luck boycotting this game... It always draws you back in! My main complaint was the stat potential nerf, it had a huge effect on my gameplay style and race choices. However instead of boycotting, I learned to play differently, and I feel that overall I have way more fun now.

So... My advice to you is, maybe just try some new things?

I personally welcome changes. I think 1 RoDS is enough from dipping and stat should be slightly harder to obtain. I like that wishes are little bit rare instead of having wish machine for them.

I don't have that huge problem with stat potentials. I usually find quite a bit of potential potions. Some games they are more rare, but some games they are plenty. I am fine with that. My current 12 To dark elf managed to buff his To to 36 already. Quite enough. I did use one wish for potions of toughness tho.

If you want unlimited wishes, just play in exploration mode. Problem solved.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Here's an RFE to revert the "one RoDS per dip per game" behavior. Upvote it, express your opinion in the comments, and wait for Mr. Biskup to deal with it. "Boycotting" the game isn't going to achieve anything.

Also, note that version 1.1.1 still works, and no one will prevent you from playing it and creating wish engines, kick-robbing, dragon-doubling gold and getting crowned at level one as many times as you want
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    It's not about the game losing its oldschool feeling, it's a single bug. Might aswell whine about 500 movement cost 7LBs then, since you're at it?
    This is noticably a metter of this bug im saying about..
    ADOm was so fine becouse this so much oldschool way that
    you could use such 'bugs' as a part of gameplay to exploit a game
    - now i dislike the changin way of thinking on it here

this alone maybe will not suffice but there is also a second part of the thing, as i said - this is really not needed as this was a tremendous fun but at a very gigh cost of getting enough luck
    and to mude a lot of work - only insane player could do that --
    so i liked adom was for insane players, Now its not? well
    thats bad change

I will boycott it as i said but not 100% boycott does not have to be binary i will be boycotting it only at 90%

I feel that if you really want to exploit the game in order to win, it's not worth winning. Ring dipping is an exploit. Maybe just try exploration mode? 42 wishes with no work. But still I don't understand. Game is mostly the same, but with a few new locations, and very few bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    But still I don't understand. Game is mostly the same, but with a few new locations, and very few bugs.
    It is ideological conflict between the game and me
    (i would not boycotting it also if i would not play it so much,
    but the more you play the higher expectation I feel to stay
    wit it.. those fun with rings or other such kind funs was
    important things keeping me atill at the game