Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might need a helping hand, guys! [SPOILERS AHEAD!]

Default I might need a helping hand, guys! [SPOILERS AHEAD!]

Hey!
    I'm somewhat new to ADOM and I've just recently bought it on Steam. Made a new character - born in a month of the candle, tough and strong dwarven priest.
    At first, I managed to save that goddamn puppy - no idea how, I've just ran through the cave and nearly ate my keyboard on the way back trying to stay alive. Anyway, problem solved.
    Next, I've tried my best to rescue that fellow who gave me bridge building book and stuff. Mission accomplished without any problems. Got lucky with a tone of spellbooks and some decent gear.
    Went through caves to the High Mount Village (just out of curiosity) and visited Dwarftow to get some quest from the old dwarf - trees, graveyard and ogres done, currently looking for a goddam lightning lizard.. By the way - WHY THERE IS NO FREAKIN' TELEPORT BACK TO SURFACE FROM DWARFTOWN FOR GODS SAKE?!
    Either way, at level 13 I got hit in the head by the papyrus scroll inviting me to a party with Rehetep. He wasnt very charming so I've decided to punch the shit out of him. Got Ankh and Wrapping.

And since then I have no idea what to do... Which quest to take, where to go or ... anything.
    I'm stuck.

So my point is that there is no questline walkthrough. I know that every single character have to be played differently but I think there should be a questline guide or anything like that because new players are getting lost in the game which is kind of frustrating..

Where should I go now and what should I do at L17?

I've tried to accomplish the Old Berserker quest but there is no way in hell I'd remember the very first monster I've slayed so I am just roaming around Infinited Dungeon (currently at 16'th floor) killing stuff and hoping to devastate enough of the stuff I've killed at the start of my journey.

Oh, and I've completed the Arena, too...

Any guides, please?

And now out of topic:
    1. How do I take screenshots?
    2. Why there is no altar in towns beside Dwarftown? I've tried beastfighter (who's been slaughtered by some random monster) and it was so much pain in the a** trying every single piece of gear without identifying..

I hope that my post is understandable.. My english blows because I dont have an opportunity to use it besides forums like this.

Anyway, regards guys!

I can easily understand how you might get stuck at this point without having read any spoilers, and I will just nudge you one step forward without trying to spoil the whole thing for you. Deeper below the dwarven city and the animated forest is an obstacle that you'll need to do another quest from the old dwarf to pass.
    Those random monster kill quests from the old dwarf can be a bit of a grind to finish, and you got a bit unlucky with yours, lightning lizards are a somewhat uncommon spawn.

Oh, and there are some more guaranteed places to feature altars, and they can also be generated on most of the regular dungeon floors, if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangouren View Post

Any guides, please?
    Well, keep going down few levels (past animated forest), you will stumble into your answers It's really ermetic this game at first look, but there are a lot of hints....

Hey!
    1. At first, I managed to save that goddamn puppy - no idea how, I've just ran through the cave and nearly ate my keyboard on the way back trying to stay alive. Anyway, problem solved.
    2. Next, I've tried my best to rescue that fellow who gave me bridge building book and stuff.

3. Went through caves to the High Mount Village (just out of curiosity) and visited Dwarftow to get some quest from the old dwarf - trees, graveyard and ogres done, currently looking for a goddam lightning lizard.

4. WHY THERE IS NO FREAKIN' TELEPORT BACK TO SURFACE FROM DWARFTOWN FOR GODS SAKE?!

5.And since then I have no idea what to do... Which quest to take, where to go or ... anything. I'm stuck.

6.So my point is that there is no questline walkthrough.

7.Where should I go now and what should I do at L17?

[look at 3]Oh, and I've completed the Arena, too...

8.Any guides, please?

9.. How do I take screenshots?
    10. Why there is no altar in towns beside Dwarftown?
    11.it was so much pain in the a** trying every single piece of gear without identifying..
    1. Puppy quest is more of trap. It is nice to open location, but might as well let him die. Who is more valuable your character or puppy?
    2.Well, if you have healing (as priest) it would be better to activate druid quest instead. By design you get access to either carpenter or druid quest (depending on which NPc you speak first.)
    3.Well, if you have not done other stuff (in this case Arena) out of order, dwarven elder would not assign you random monster kills.
    4. No idea... but in general there are no teleports between levels. The late game has one shortcut to surface (not from dwarftown).
    5. Well, there are some messages indicating significance of CoC (Caverns of Chaos). For unspoiled player I think idea is that you go down CoC untill you meet obstacle, then you figure it out and do quests allowing to go deeper. Spoiled ones clear that stuff in advance.
    6. Adom guidebook has some basic ideas on how game should progress, Steam has guide on dealing with elemental temples, some classes has guides (adomguides.blogspot).
    7. Down CoC untill you can't anymore? Also there is lots of optional places - rift/library, frost queen, high king dungeons, random dungeons... It is not world on the rails...
    8. look at 6.
    9. "(", ")" create character log files. Steam probably has a way to do proper screenshot in overlay.
    10. Towns have guaranteed feature in shops. Altars are generated randomly (except temples and dwarftown).
    11. Don't Id everything? Weapons can be checked via price in shop and most of armor can be ignored [once you have a passable item in that slot].
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchfighter View Post
    I can easily understand how you might get stuck at this point without having read any spoilers, and I will just nudge you one step forward without trying to spoil the whole thing for you. Deeper below the dwarven city and the animated forest is an obstacle that you'll need to do another quest from the old dwarf to pass.
    Those random monster kill quests from the old dwarf can be a bit of a grind to finish, and you got a bit unlucky with yours, lightning lizards are a somewhat uncommon spawn.

Oh, and there are some more guaranteed places to feature altars, and they can also be generated on most of the regular dungeon floors, if you're lucky.
    Don't worry about spoilering anything to me. I dont mind as far as it will help me went through the game
    I've completed the portal quest, I think. Cleared a graveyard, got gloves/bracers/whatever.
    And yeah, lightning wizard is a pain in the a** to find....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, keep going down few levels (past animated forest), you will stumble into your answers It's really ermetic this game at first look, but there are a lot of hints....
    I'm afraid I am stuck much more than you think, because if I go down deeper through CoC, I'm getting kicked in the arse by monsters I can barely handle..
    I think I got really lucky finding decent gear but still - deepest levels of CoC are troublesome as hell...

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    1. Puppy quest is more of trap. It is nice to open location, but might as well let him die. Who is more valuable your character or puppy?
    2.Well, if you have healing (as priest) it would be better to activate druid quest instead. By design you get access to either carpenter or druid quest (depending on which NPc you speak first.)
    3.Well, if you have not done other stuff (in this case Arena) out of order, dwarven elder would not assign you random monster kills.
    4. No idea... but in general there are no teleports between levels. The late game has one shortcut to surface (not from dwarftown).
    5. Well, there are some messages indicating significance of CoC (Caverns of Chaos). For unspoiled player I think idea is that you go down CoC untill you meet obstacle, then you figure it out and do quests allowing to go deeper. Spoiled ones clear that stuff in advance.
    6. Adom guidebook has some basic ideas on how game should progress, Steam has guide on dealing with elemental temples, some classes has guides (adomguides.blogspot).
    7. Down CoC untill you can't anymore? Also there is lots of optional places - rift/library, frost queen, high king dungeons, random dungeons... It is not world on the rails...
    8. look at 6.
    9. "(", ")" create character log files. Steam probably has a way to do proper screenshot in overlay.
    10. Towns have guaranteed feature in shops. Altars are generated randomly (except temples and dwarftown).
    11. Don't Id everything? Weapons can be checked via price in shop and most of armor can be ignored [once you have a passable item in that slot].
    1. Well, I've somehow managed to complete it so it doesnt really matter now :P
    2. It was a random choice. I've been doing druid quest on my characters repeatedly so I've decided to do the other one instead.
    3. Arena is done. As I said - looking for a lightning lizard is a pain...
    4. Yeah, I know that there is no option to teleport other than in a dungeon/wilderness level. Still, its an annoyig thing to run trough CoC all the time just to sell picked up junk.
    5. I am not afraid of spoilers. In my opinion its better to know what to do next instead of randomly running around the world map.
    6. Been there looking for clues - still, no guide that can help new players went through main storyiline were made, unfortunately.
    7. Problem is that I have no idea where to look for library or rift.. I dont want to go somewhere when I get instakill.
    8. :P
    9. Thank you!
    10. Yeah but it's annoying.. Sometimes you can get an altar in a SMC L1 but sometimes you have to look for it in a deepest levels of a dungeon where you cant survive for a freaking second.. IMO - there should be an altar in Terinyo or that bandit village which name I cant pronounce.
    11. ...same as at 10.

- F12 takes screenshot in steam.
    - Berkserker quest is more like you are done with it when you are done with it. I usually just later return and check if I've done it or not. I don't go Infinite Dungeon to kill monsters.
    - There is several place you can go in world map. I recommend checking Putrid, Moldy, Shadowy random dungeons first. Then you can try Sinister random dungeon, it's a bit harder than first 3. Ancient and Crumbling random dungeons are for little higher level characters.
    - Ice Queen Domain can be tried as well. Be wary! Not the easiest place.
    - Or simply go deeper in CoC and keep doing Thundrrar quests in dwarf town by 'C'hatting with him and asking him about "Quest"
    - Do everything possible before trying Tower of Eternal Flame. Because it's one of the hardest places in game.
    Last edited by Shinae; 03-16-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinae View Post
    - F12 takes screenshot in steam.
    - Berkserker quest is more like you are done with it when you are done with it. I usually just later return and check if I've done it or not. I don't go Infinite Dungeon to kill monsters.
    - There is several place you can go in world map. I recommend checking Putrid, Moldy, Shadowy random dungeons first. Then you can try Sinister random dungeon, it's a bit harder than first 3. Ancient and Crumbling random dungeons are for little higher level characters.
    - Ice Queen Domain can be tried as well. Be wary! Not the easiest place.
    - Or simply go deeper in CoC and keep doing Thundrrar quests in dwarf town by 'C'hatting with him and asking him about "Quest"
    - Do everything possible before trying Tower of Eternal Flame. Because it's one of the hardest places in game.
    Thank you for the tip about screenshots!
    I'll try those dungeons you mentioned and I'll do my best to stay away from ToEE as much as possible

Another question - how can I edit autosave feature? I guess I changed it to autosave every 500 turns somehow (but I dont remember how..) and its annoying as hell..

:S for setting autosave interval.

3. Arena is done. As I said - looking for a lightning lizard is a pain...

5. I am not afraid of spoilers. In my opinion its better to know what to do next instead of randomly running around the world map.
    6. Been there looking for clues - still, no guide that can help new players went through main storyiline were made, unfortunately.
    Well, you got lizard quest... cause dwarven elder can't assign you Arena quest - since you done it. Solution don't do Arena to early.

I don't know what your char looks like. But at lv17 it's normal to do high kings (NW through minor mountains), dark forge (low center) and ice queen stuff. All areas are pretty much well described in guidebook.

DF is done for armor/weapons, ice queen for xp and high kings essentially needs to be done eventually. The best gear at this point is good shield and kickass weapon... Guaranteed kickassish weapon is at the end of dwarven elder quest line... which.. well, don't do Arena to early.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

p.s. there is a page with some walthroughs:
    http://plog.atspace.com/
    or you can try Silfir's Let's play on youtube...