Thread: Do monsters killed by traps give exp?

Default Do monsters killed by traps give exp?

Title says it all really.

I just did air temple and the summoner fled into a trap and killed himself. Do I get credit for this kill?

Quote Originally Posted by ghwc View Post
    Title says it all really.

I just did air temple and the summoner fled into a trap and killed himself. Do I get credit for this kill?
    :k answers it really.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn't know I about :k.

I'm a little sad now, he doesn't appear on my kill list so i guess I don't get either credit or exp

If you set off the trap then it counts as your kill. I've leveled up after kicking an fireball door into a tension room for example. That why you can't deal with cats that way. However, if they kill themselves on a trap it's the trap and not yours. It happens.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    If you set off the trap then it counts as your kill. I've leveled up after kicking an fireball door into a tension room for example. That why you can't deal with cats that way. However, if they kill themselves on a trap it's the trap and not yours. It happens.
    No?

Trapped doors your kill - always I messed few head hunter challenges that way.
    Non doors, non fireball - not your kill.

Fireball traps - messed up. (I think if let say cat triggers fireball trap and fireball hits both a cat and the char it might count as a kill, but not 100% sure).
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I have used fireball traps heavily to get rid of cats and you don't get the entry on your kill list if it's the cat that triggered it, even if you were the one to place a trap at that tile and it hit you as well.
    It's nice to figure out a tile with stone block/collapsing ceiling and repeatedly use wand of trap creation on it to dispatch cats.
    It's pretty much insta-kill every time and your kitty karma is safe.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."