Thread: Info on Steam

Default Info on Steam

If I DL the game from Steam, will I be getting a version that is free-standing or will I be installing Steam stuff too? I haven't used Steam before but I've heard you have to maintain an internet connection or have other apps from Stream installed and running. Thanks for any help.

Steam is an application, so you can't download from Steam without first having/installing Steam. There is an offline mode though I'm not sure how it works.
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE

You can play offline now, in earlier versions you had to connect to the internet but now you can download the game and then turn on offline mode and never look back. That's what my dad did

Well, I went through everything Steam to get r64. It's only Steam that can be set to offline mode. Funny that it still connects to update Steam and to my Steam account. I can find no way to run it without Steam starting up, updating itself, logging in to my Steam acct just to get to the opening screen. Is there not a way just to run it like r60, on it's own?
    Last edited by mitres; 04-04-2016 at 12:17 AM.

If you go offline on steam then you shouldn't have to update steam or anything, if you have steam launch on startup with your credentials remembered then you can just play without updating or anything.

Anytime the game updates however you will have to go online to download the update.

If the problem is that you don't want steam to be running while playing I'm afraid that's not possible. As long as you're on offline mode I'm not sure why this should be a problem considering you were just worried about internet connection or other apps running. Steam itself doesn't take up much memory at all, especially in offline mode.

EDIT : If you are having trouble staying in offline mode do this : Click "go offline" then click "restart in offline mode" then once you are logged in offline mode close steam. Now every time steam should start it should ask if you want to be offline.
    Last edited by pjsb1; 04-04-2016 at 01:56 AM.

Check this if you're having trouble getting Steam to run in offline mode. I have successfully used the Steam.cfg method and this for the task, but that was several years ago.
    "And light there be!"