Thread: Forum Suggestion : Guide / Q&A Sections

Lightbulb Forum Suggestion : Guide / Q&A Sections

A massive part of learning ADoM is asking questions, failing, and repeating.
    Because of this, I think a Q&A or Guides section would benefit new players and veterans alike.
    This has probably been suggested before, but I think its worth a shot now that r60+ is on Steam.

edit: I failed to portray my message properly. I am in no need of information, rather, I was hoping the forums could use a little reorganization for the sake of ease of access.
    Last edited by RedBamboo; 04-12-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBamboo View Post
    A massive part of learning ADoM is asking questions, failing, and repeating.
    Because of this, I think a Q&A or Guides section would benefit new players and veterans alike.
    This has probably been suggested before, but I think its worth a shot now that r60+ is on Steam.
    You mean, there is a lot which is not covered by wiki and http://www.adomgb.info/adomfaq.html?

Silfir had some guides and, iirc, >50% of these was either repeating same stuff in every of them or reciting in game manual.

Given miniscule player base I don't think extra section would do much good. (I think it would just look sad and underdeveloped)
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

There's a beginner information thread that's been stickied in this forum that is a decent resource for a variety of topics.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I would say the "minuscule player base" is further intensified to the lack of information available.

Silfir's guides are invaluable to new players. But if you want to find more specific information, your choices are limited to brinkstar, these forums, or the wiki.
    Each of the mentioned sources contain troves of suggestions, but they are poorly sorted and never consolidated.
    Last edited by RedBamboo; 04-12-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBamboo View Post
    Each of the mentioned sources contain troves of suggestions, but they are poorly sorted and never consolidated.
    Why do you think proposed forum section would be any better?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

As I understand it, he's asking for a forum section AND somebody to moderate it, sort stuff out, verify etc.
    Which is pretty much not doable.

RedBamboo, I don't think this is feasible for a rather niche game like this. Adom has always had a steep learning curve, which at the moment is quite a bit more forgiving, with all the extra stuff in the game.
    The existing guidelines are in my opinion sufficient for the initial parts of the game but later on, they are no longer so useful - each game is different and unique, to the point where some things might be possible much earlier while some - not at all.
    Q&A would probably be nice but that already exists - you just post your problems/doubts/questions in the general section and they're bound to be resolved quickly.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    As I understand verify....is pretty much not doable.
    +1 to that.

A new section, in reality, won't bring massive change in any respect.
    But I would hope that it would encourage more activity.
    Perhaps there is not enough traffic to warrant a new section.

;(

If anything, I think that some sections of the forums could probably be pared down. The "Release the Source Code" subforum hasn't had a new post since 2013 and TB has been pretty unequivocal about his stance on that issue--there's really no need for a whole forum about that one topic. iADOM as a concept I think has been completely replaced by the Steam/NotEye release, so that forum could probably be closed. While I understand TB's interest in promoting challenge of the week, that probably doesn't need its own forum (a sticky thread is probably fine). ADOM RPG? Maybe after it's been released that forum will be more active, but there's only one post on that forum more recent than 2014, which is the one asking when it's due to be released. Again, a single sticky post for the topic is probably sufficient. The dev forums don't need to be visible publicly. Even the ADOM @ Steam forum could probably be combined into this one and the Project Management one. In total there's already 15 different subforums, not counting the entirely separate Steam forum, which has 6 more, mostly overlapping with the ones from here. This is really excessive, IMHO. You could probably make do with half as many subforums without really hampering the flow of the site at all.

I think, if anything, the most beneficial subforum to add would be a spoiler-free discussion area.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'm agreeing with JellySlayer here a bit, these forums could actually do with less subfora rather than more.

That said I'm not directly opposed to having at least a Q&A topic in stead of an entire forum section devoted to it.