Thread: Ok, so did anyone know this??

Default Ok, so did anyone know this??

I've just found that thrown melee weapons use the energy cost, damage, and to hit bonuses from the skill. A thrown whip works as well as wielded! So kinda perfect for a duelist in a pinch.

But it gets better! Thrown axes and hammers work this way, I havnt tested thoroughly yet, but it seems to use the best score- best to hit or damage or energy cost from the 2 skills instead of adding together.

It also works this way with swords and 2 handed weapons.

Spears work this way too.

Wielding a bow such as sun's messenger works this way, you won't gain weapon marks, but it's an undead slayer still and you can take full advantage of the great damage it can cause from both the skill and the +12.

You mean that a thrown missile that has its own ranged skill category will still take the melee category skill if it exists and is higher?

Sun's messenger is the only slaying missile weapon, and since any arrow fired with it will get its slaying, +12, and skill bonus...why would you melee unless you somehow have no arrows? The dice on it isn't as good as an arrow (I think?) and missile crits are way better than melee crits.
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    I've just found that thrown melee weapons use the energy cost, damage, and to hit bonuses from the skill. A thrown whip works as well as wielded! So kinda perfect for a duelist in a pinch.

But it gets better! Thrown axes and hammers work this way, I havnt tested thoroughly yet, but it seems to use the best score- best to hit or damage or energy cost from the 2 skills instead of adding together.

It also works this way with swords and 2 handed weapons.

Spears work this way too.

Wielding a bow such as sun's messenger works this way, you won't gain weapon marks, but it's an undead slayer still and you can take full advantage of the great damage it can cause from both the skill and the +12.
    If you throw shields, you can build up shield skill over the 2x nonsense limit.

I think Sami has completed game through shield throwing, but I am too lazy to search for the thread.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

You are indeed correct, there is no valid reason to wield Suns messenger, even if you get the bonuses from your bow skill. It was just an example.

Just now experimented with axes, and it seems that although the energy cost Carries over, the melee hit and dmg does not. Also the missle skill doesn't carry over to the melee hit and damage.

The main advantage I see from this is the fact that if you are a spear wielder all game and have no skill in thrown spears, you can still throw pretty damned well.

If this is the case, I'm really confused as to why the "Thrown X" skills exist at all.

I wonder if this is a bug.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    If this is the case, I'm really confused as to why the "Thrown X" skills exist at all.

I wonder if this is a bug.
    Not sure about it being a bug, it's too early to tell, so far in testing, for some things only the energy cost goes from melee to missle, and for some things it has multiple carry overs