Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spellbook distribution research thread.

I started a Salamander Wizard and sent him to the puppy cave. Fighting on PC:5 and dumping all spellbooks on the PC:4 staircase. Will post results once 100 spellbooks have been found.

Can't you guys start in exploration mode and repeatedly wish for "spellbooks". I would assume these wishes follow the same generation rules.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Does not seem this way. Two books of frost bolt out of 60 or so, before my necromancer was crushed by his luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Can't you guys start in exploration mode and repeatedly wish for "spellbooks". I would assume these wishes follow the same generation rules.
    I think this is more along the lines of what TB did with dev mode.

I thought about the topic (mostly making speculations out of experience, Sorear stuff and thin air --- mostly thin air ).

Well, it is very hard to believe german CEO would not know version control, so likely actual code for spellbook drops has not changed... but knowing Adom that code is very likely to dependent on some other parts...

So my thin air theory is that spellbook drop rate is somehow dependent on how difficult it is too read for char.... You know that explains why Dark/Light are common, wish rare and clericals have lower drop of balls/magical missile/etc.

There definitely fixes in starting books/spells/etc. So if starting books actually started generate bonus they were always supossed to give, that would explain why they magically started dropping frequently.

There was somesort of back fix after r57 (something with necros starting with elementalist spells or vice versa), which could have put frequency at something more reasonable...

End of the wild theory... Pleas, keep counting the spellbooks (if someone would do few hundred in r57 that would be great too)
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I figured it would be easiest to generate spellbooks using your living forest method with a necromancer and quickling corpses. Too bad no quicklings yet.

Edit: Soirana, your theory makes a lot of sense to me, I was getting about the same impression.
    Last edited by Blank4u47; 06-20-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Spellbook generation can be DL-dependent, so different people might get drastically different distributions due to different play styles.

How about using Create Item spell? It creates exactly the same item distribution you would get normally (though one need to check whether specific monster items - like slavemaster whips - screw it up compared to random generation), and it is easy to hack/automate it to continuously create loot.
    Last edited by SinsI; 06-20-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Spellbook generation can be DL-dependent, so different people might get drastically different distributions due to different play styles.

How about using Create Item spell? It creates exactly the same item distribution you would get normally (though one need to check whether specific monster items - like slavemaster whips - screw it up compared to random generation), and it is easy to hack/automate it to continuously create loot.
    I can test the create item spell out with my troll, I have the spell now, along with the book, I just need great bookcaster and shadow touch now. However, I suspect it would work like the wish spell did.

I don't suggest doing it on a non-cheater character - cheaters can freeze power points and memorization, thus having a much easier time casting the spells the enormous amount necessary to create a precise distribution (don't forget that Create Item creates all kinds of items, and not only spellbooks).
    Last edited by SinsI; 06-20-2016 at 06:41 PM.

I thought that spellbooks were all DL 1?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I don't suggest doing it on a non-cheater character - cheaters can freeze power points and memorization, thus having a much easier time casting the spells the enormous amount necessary to create a precise distribution (don't forget that Create Item creates all kinds of items, and not only spellbooks).
    I don't have the first clue how to create a cheater character, honestly. But it should go pretty quick with a necro lvl 25 in the gremlin cave.