Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Melee classes: two-handed weapons vs dual-wielding vs shield

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Well, that (2x) is backstab bonus for everyone. Thieves and assassins (properly leveled) are better...
    Right, I guess I need to be more clear. I had meant that back stab with thief and assassin is double the multiplier. So 2x is 4x or for daggers it's 6x because its base is 3x

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Right, I guess I need to be more clear. I had meant that back stab with thief and assassin is double the multiplier. So 2x is 4x or for daggers it's 6x because its base is 3x
    It's supposed to add and no multiply (well, 2*2=2+2), which can be checked with daggers. Reportedly daggers five 5x and 7x(2 regular, 2 for pro backstabs, 3 for daggers), not 6x and 12x.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    It's supposed to add and no multiply (well, 2*2=2+2), which can be checked with daggers. Reportedly daggers five 5x and 7x(2 regular, 2 for pro backstabs, 3 for daggers), not 6x and 12x.
    Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me I havnt played an assassin in a long time, guess that's a good excuse to!

Commit to a setup when you have end game gear or just know a certain race/class will use a certain type of fighting.

I would argue dual wielding can be very effective and powerful as a ranger, especially with supporting talents. But you still want to train up shield usage and have one in reserve for tough fights where the extra defence is a matter of life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    Commit to a setup when you have end game gear or just know a certain race/class will use a certain type of fighting.

I would argue dual wielding can be very effective and powerful as a ranger, especially with supporting talents. But you still want to train up shield usage and have one in reserve for tough fights where the extra defence is a matter of life and death.
    Why a ranger specifically? All they end up getting is to hit bonuses from their class powers, and by mid game to hit bonuses are pretty pointless.

I think most melee talents are generally regarded as useless. They make little to no impact in the grand scheme of things. Consider that most PCs have the means to close the gate before they hit level 30. That's like ~15 talents give or take? I can't personally justify ever taking one.

If there's need for evidence, the char is on the ancardia.uk server and I can easily show in real time that dual wielding twin daggers takes less time to kill an ancient blue dragon than AotME.
    At least when it comes to archmage.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."