Thread: What Dwarftown Altar?

Default What Dwarftown Altar?

Given free access to change your alignment as needed (which shouldn't be overly hard given access to whips and being able to pickpocket neutral creatures), would people rather generate Dwarftown altar as Lawful or Neutral? ...
    Closed Gate with: Orc Barbarian, Orc Paladin
    Ultra'd with: Gnome Weaponsmith (L+)

Neutral, personally.

Depends on what other, if any altars I find. Nuetral is useful for me most often though.

Lawful for a normal gatecloser where I normally Crown as soon as I've got ring of Ice.

With the exception of RolePlay heavy characters, I pretty much always go Neutral, largely because the Dwarven Mystic's gifts are vastly superior for Neutrals vs Lawfuls.

4 scrolls of cure corruption can save the life of a late game character, wheras the dwarven Rune Axe never does anything other than get thrown on my pile of useless artifacts in the Barbarian Glade.

Almost universally lawful. I'm playing L chars mostly though, never N.
    Neutral is easily made of any other altar, no matter what is your alignment.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

If early game precrown is still a possibility (due to number of artifacts generated), it's always easier done using a L altar for live sacs. Not the one in Dwarftown, obviously, but it's easier to just be lawful in that case, since very few randomly generated monsters are lawful, so you can sac almost anything, and almost nothing can sac you Moreover, AFAIR, Lawful alignment protects you a little bit extra from the cumulative "bonus" received if you have more corruptions.

To be noted that doing this doesn't have to forfeit the Mystic's scrolls, since you can temporarily shift to Neutral (unless you've been crowned already) once you have some on-demand teleportation + teleportation control. Just be careful when returning to lawful to do it in a way that doesn't convert the Dwarftown altar (thus angering the priest) or expose the PC to deity's wrath upon returning to the "fold". Easiest way to avoid it is to drop almost everything except a bit of money and some arrows or a si or something

If early game (pre)crown isn't a possibility, Neutral is perfectly alright, doesn't make your life nearly is complicated as what I described above. Not sure what the advantages of playing as a Neutral, so I can't really speak about the other option in as much detail

Cheers and good luck to you and your PC!

I like the altar to be nuetral for a few reasons, first of all, you are 1 scroll of familiar summoning away from converting altar peacefully, so it's easy to change altar alignment regardless of current alignment if it's nuetral initially. Also, being lawful is no longer the necessity it used to be because of the Ap resistance to chaos and the downgrading of the effects of chaos in general.

Also, the benefits of being nuetral is mainly convenience and additional stat gain from corruptions.