Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ADOM Ultra-Ultra Competition!

Default ADOM Ultra-Ultra Competition!

Hey Everyone,

Announcing the ADOM Ultra-Ultra Competition (brought to you by the /r/roguelikes Discord)! The rules are simple; complete an ultra run using two game modifiers, TOUGH monsters and FEW treasures. The first person to complete such a run and submit a video to me will recieve 50$ (via Paypal / Steam games)!

Here are the requirements:
    1) TOUGH monsters and FEW treasures set at character generation. It also must be a real game, no exploration mode!
    2) Complete an ULTRA run! (Original ChAoS God ending is also acceptable!)
    3) RECORD your run! Whether that be through personal recording software or a streaming service like Twitch, a fully recorded run must be submitted to be selected as the winner!
    4) Also submit an FLG file containting your character dump after the win!

I wanted to extend an invitation to anybody here who is interested. I'm not sure that this challenge has actually be completed yet, but even if it has it would be nice to get a full run on video. Anyone submitting a run must do so through our Discord (for organizational purposes). It can be submitted to any of the Admin's / Mod's. Here's a link to the ADOM channel: https://discord.gg/BfVfNcY

Hope to see some more entries! Good luck, and have fun!

EDIT:
    Announcing the winner of the ADOM Ultra Ultra competition! After performing his second Ultimate ChAoS God win as a Mist Elf Chaos Knight (this time fully recorded), I'm happy award Ster with $50! It's a rather amusing run that does a few things out of the ordinary (like visit the quickling tree!), so I highly recommend giving it a watch! Here's a link to the run (seperated into a few parts): https://www.twitch.tv/sterroidss/videos/highlights

I also would like to announce a runner up... God of ADoM was able to defeat AnDoR DrAkOn as Gnomish Necromancer + Champion of Order, achieving the Ultimate Lawful Ending! This run is a particularly cool watch due to God of ADoM becoming an Archmage, meaning he had infinite wishes to wish for anything he wanted in the game. Check out his full run here: https://www.twitch.tv/yollamist/v/96310288

Thanks to everyone else who participated =)
    Last edited by mtf; 10-22-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Interesting. Any requirements as far as version is concerned?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

On a related note, what are your experiences of those settings?
    Ie tough monsters/few treasures.

I've only seen Gordon dying once on those, seems like tough monsters are worse than few items.

The only version requirement is that you will need a copy of ADOM that has the new difficulty settings... I would prefer the latest version however.

As for the settings, from my experience (watching Gordon and listening to others in the ADOM discord) the tough monsters have about 33% extra HP and buffed DV/PV, but the same damage. Few items is actually quite significant too... I watched Gordon go through all of the Terinyo quests/dungeons and not find a single piece of body armor, rendering his PV extremely low... Coupled with the tough monsters, he was having a pretty hard time, and there was a lot more strategy involved than his usual vids (doppelgangers were super dangerous for him since he was an archer). Overall I think the combo makes for a pretty tough challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    The only version requirement is that you will need a copy of ADOM that has the new difficulty settings... I would prefer the latest version however.

As for the settings, from my experience (watching Gordon and listening to others in the ADOM discord) the tough monsters have about 33% extra HP and buffed DV/PV, but the same damage. Few items is actually quite significant too... I watched Gordon go through all of the Terinyo quests/dungeons and not find a single piece of body armor, rendering his PV extremely low... Coupled with the tough monsters, he was having a pretty hard time, and there was a lot more strategy involved than his usual vids (doppelgangers were super dangerous for him since he was an archer). Overall I think the combo makes for a pretty tough challenge!
    Y weak range really hurts vs dopples, especially if they have extra hps.
    Almost no pv after terinyo quests are not that unusual imo, almost no pv after hmw, and terinyo quests thats a bit worse.
    Otoh I guess smc/ud is a different beast with those settings.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    On a related note, what are your experiences of those settings?
    Ie tough monsters/few treasures.

I've only seen Gordon dying once on those, seems like tough monsters are worse than few items.
    I played through till level 14 on a farmer. Loot is big problem. Had done VD, PC, D:1-9, R1. So maybe 20-25 full levels, including 2 lesser vaults, IIRC. Found 7 potions (1 water), 6 scrolls, 2 wands, 1 ring, 1 amulet total, with treasure hunter. Reached DT with under 1000 gold, never spent any before then.

I think Archer is probably smart choice since you can scum missiles independently of loot table. Elementalist should do okay... other casters may be quite book poor.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 10-05-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I played through till level 14 on a farmer. Loot is big problem. Had done VD, PC, D:1-9, R1. So maybe 20-25 full levels, including 2 lesser vaults, IIRC. Found 7 potions (1 water), 6 scrolls, 2 wands, 1 ring, 1 amulet total, with treasure hunter. Reached DT with under 1000 gold, never spent any before then.

I think Archer is probably smart choice since you can scum missiles independently of loot table. Elementalist should do okay... other casters may be quite book poor.
    Again I've had normal games with that low drops on rare occasions and yes it's "shitty".
    I was considering human book assassin, dwarf book weaponsmith or elementalist.
    I really enjoy assassins and humans have food preserve and swim.
    Dwarf Smith can get silly if early game is survived.
    Ele have less book drop reqs.
    Book starsign is nice for noncasters, otoh other options are probably better if no books shops are found.

Come to think of it any shops generated will be huge.
    Last edited by blunk; 10-05-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post

Oh wow, that really doesn't give you a lot to work with, does it. I was thinking that casters might be the way to go with this challenge (since spells probably aren't affected by the "tough" monster setting too much), but if barely any books drop they'll be in trouble. I wonder if "few" treasures also affects random shop generation?

Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Oh wow, that really doesn't give you a lot to work with, does it. I was thinking that casters might be the way to go with this challenge (since spells probably aren't affected by the "tough" monster setting too much), but if barely any books drop they'll be in trouble. I wonder if "few" treasures also affects random shop generation?
    I was also considering bard, if monsters are beefed up so are animals.
    Their extra chance on special items while it won't provide extra items, it could be useful.

I was thinking it would probably be worth checking to see if Pick Pockets is affected by this mode. PP isn't as good as it used to be, but any extra items would probably be a big help.