Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jupiter Hell - a RL kickstarter from the makers of DoomRL (among other things)

That seems an extremely negative way of describing a spiritual sequel.
    I'd call it an established roguelike developer working on a new game in the style of their past successful work, but with license to take it further (look at the difference in ADOM development progress when TB got some help).

(Oh, and if you're after concrete stuff that makes it 'different' from doomrl, the one and only game mechanic that I've discussed with JH devs is different in JH and doomrl (cover mechanics). )
    My point is - it's miles away from 'doomrl with tiles'.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    I'd call it an established roguelike developer working on a new game in the style of their past successful work, but with license to take it further (look at the difference in ADOM development progress when TB got some help).

(Oh, and if you're after concrete stuff that makes it 'different' from doomrl, the one and only game mechanic that I've discussed with JH devs is different in JH and doomrl (cover mechanics). )
    Good for you if you are Kornel's faithful.

My point is that it might be potentially awesome (as any kickstarter game), but from kickstarter page it doesn't look anything, but 'doomRl with tiles'
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post

I also see it as a good way for him to make money off of the work he has done, without getting into legal trouble. Whether that's "cash grabbing" is up to opinion.

Unfortunately, they started their Kickstarter at a time when people are getting very burnt out on them. I do hope they reach their goal, but if they don't I hope they have a backup plan of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Good for you if you are Kornel's faithful.

My point is that it might be potentially awesome (as any kickstarter game), but from kickstarter page it doesn't look anything, but 'doomRl with tiles'
    In the same way as you are Biskup's faithful and paid for ADOM with tiles.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Hello everyone, Kornel (DoomRL/Jupiter Hell dev) here.

I thought I'd pop by, and answer any questions you may have about Jupiter Hell and it's Kickstarter .

Yes, we're guilty in not providing much gameplay details, and we're slowly trying to make up for that ( see recent Story and Game Design update ). This by far isn't everything, and we'll keep posting additional information as the campaign unfolds.

In short however, this is not DoomRL with a facelift. It's more a merge of my design for DoomRL 2 (which never came to be), and the current and future ideas I had for AliensRL. DoomRL's design is flawed at the roots, and just the fact that most of the high-level gameplay revolves around abusing a bug (corner-shooting) is proof of that. We want to do it right this time. Also, the scope is somewhat bigger - while not completely freeroam, Jupiter Hell is based around hubs, instead of being just a linear set of levels. Within those hubs randomized missions will exist, that will allow you to progress to the next hub. At the moment, the game plan has 4 of those hubs - Callisto, Europa Surface Base, Europa Underwater Facilities and finally Dante Station over Jupiter itself.

The item and environment interactions will also be a lot more complex. The former will include hacking, much more consistent and balanced weapon and armor modding, grenades and other consumable items. The latter will allow much more interesting interaction with the environment, be it by the aformentioned hacking (take over a security bot, remotely cut off sections of the level or even flood them with poison gas), electricity, fire and fluids as enviroment hazards that can be exploited. Finally the AI will be much closer (and expanded) to AliensRL than DoomRL -- three senses will be separately tracked, and each of these senses you can try to mask or follow yourself -- vision, scent and sound.

I could go on like this, but I'd rather keep it for further updates, and of course any questions you might have

regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    In the same way as you are Biskup's faithful and paid for ADOM with tiles.
    And I would double payment for option to completely switch off NotEye with its tiles. On serious side Adom very clearly stated what people would get (although most of the good stuff was is stretch goals honestly).
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    And I would double payment for option to completely switch off NotEye with its tiles. On serious side Adom very clearly stated what people would get (although most of the good stuff was is stretch goals honestly).
    You're right that we failed to communicate that. As mentioned, we're trying to redeem ourselves through updates, and convince people this is DoomRL 2/AliensRL 2

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    You can also see the wonderful face of our elusive moderator Grey (absent from the board for like 3 months, no less) at about 3:25.
    I pop in every time there's a spam report

*waves* Hi everyone. Jupiter Hell will be cool, please back it if it looks like your thing We also hope it can help make turn based roguelikes more popular in general. Right now a lot of people don't even know what a roguelike really is!
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Backed! I don't care even if it is just "DoomRL with tiles", Kornel deserves some compensation for the literally hundreds (if not thousands) of hours I've played his game. (Same reason I backed ADOM FWIW) That being said, though, it seems a little silly to keep insisting it's just DoomRL with tiles when Kornel registered here and went in depth explaining how it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Right now a lot of people don't even know what a roguelike really is!
    What is a roguelike?