Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jupiter Hell - a RL kickstarter from the makers of DoomRL (among other things)

Default Jupiter Hell - a RL kickstarter from the makers of DoomRL (among other things)

Just spreading the word about fellow RL kickstarterers.

Take a look at the modern approach to RL, (probably) applicable to mainstream gaming public.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...i-fi-roguelike

You can also see the wonderful face of our elusive moderator Grey (absent from the board for like 3 months, no less) at about 3:25.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Heh, interesting, they're based in my city
    I don't really like the concept but might support them as a form of local patriotism.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

As a big fan of DoomRL, backed this without second thought.

Doomrl is one of my 2 joint-favourite roguelikes. Adom the other. The game's incredible! It's so massively tactical and 'exact'. It's like chess, I can't wait for this release!
    My orc thief just died.

It's just DoomRL with tiles, isn't it?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Tiles is really stretching it.

Gameplay-wise I have no idea, just saw the link on RL Discord channel. I haven't backed myself (yet?), but I'm going to keep an eye on the campaign. At least it seems like I successfully extorted money from 2 people already
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Well, i first backed, then came hear to check whether info about campaign was posted, so...no cheese for you

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Tiles is really stretching it.
    Looks like definition of 'tile's in kickstarter video for me. (game plays in ASCII mode, PC is essentially immobile icon, etc ). Gameplay description.... does not have single feature not covered by DoomRL already...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    No, doomrl already has tiles (and has had for years). Jupiter hell is a new, original IP. Kornel and chaosforge stopped improving doomrl and started work on jupiter hell as a new game specifically so that they could start to develop it as a serious professional game (since they're not allowed to profit from ID software's IP). It's conceptually similar to doomrl, but absolutely not the same game.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    No, doomrl already has tiles (and has had for years). Jupiter hell is a new, original IP. Kornel and chaosforge stopped improving doomrl and started work on jupiter hell as a new game specifically so that they could start to develop it as a serious professional game (since they're not allowed to profit from ID software's IP). It's conceptually similar to doomrl, but absolutely not the same game.
    So, it's reskin for cash grabbing reasons then, right? (cause I can't find single thing which makes it significantly different from DoomRL in their kickstarter description and from past I've learned not to expect stuff which is not promissed)