Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best start in 10 years

Default Best start in 10 years

Just have to share this. I just got the best start ever for my new gnome assassin. Good starting stats and lots of stat increases since beginning. I went to HMV and found couple of adamantine weapons to dual wield. Three floors of herbs before dwarf town. I just hit dwarf town and did dwarf quest to identify my equips and found out that I have Amulet of Life Saving, 2x Blessed Rings of Djinni Summoning and Ring of Ice in my inventory. I'm like woah! And did I mention I found blink dog corpse on the way to HMV. I did the village quest for healing skill as well. Going to get crowned as L+ soon.

Over 10 years and never ever have I been this lucky. I also found Cloak of Invisibility, but it burned before I knew I had Ring of Ice in inventory. This gnome is going to have lots of fun! I have to try go uber dagger dual wield route this time. Any suggestions for good wish targets for an assassin? One wish is probably going to be red dragon scale mails, because survivability and fire immunity. But second wish for Eternium daggers? Phase daggers maybe? Can I get several with a wish? SLB?

You will get one eternium dagger from saving Khelly. Not sure if it is worth the wish for the second one unless you really want it for the style points. Bloody daggers or Daggers of Death would be better in terms of damage output anyway, though ideally you'll need to rustproof them at the very least. Dual wield bloody daggers or daggers of death would be very stylish too.

Regeneration items are an awesome, often overlooked choice. It's really hard to get regeneration in the early game, and it's a super powerful intrinsic. Might be a good way to offset the lowish DV you'll have without a shield.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yes exactly, wish for bloody daggers, then bless and rustproof them. This is much more fun than phase daggers and early on they are more effective, because monster PV is not that high.

Also make sure to max your dual wielding skill as soon as you can, it makes a huge difference.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Totally forgot about regeneration option, haven't played that much lately. I might go that route, since I already got adamantium weapons and going to get crowned soon, so there is high chance to get decent weapon from crowning. It's probably more wise to play safe instead of going stylish dagger route. =D

Assassins make terrific archers. Consider getting a good archery setup though perhaps not with the wishes.
    Try to get crowned and see if you get a slaying weapon. There's executor, serpent's bite and kinslayer.
    Also farslayer could be nice.
    Assassins start with alchemy so try to train it to 100 and see what potions you need for PoGA.
    Might be something you already have and alchemy skill dice increase can be abused with the double wish exploit, if you don't mind that sort of thing. Look it up, I posted that one in the "undocumented" thread.
    In some cicrumstances, that alchemy skill makes herbalism and/or gardening a viable wish as well.

As always, I'd keep a spare RoDS for emergencies, when shit hits the fan and you need backup, you can always rely on nice stuff from an on-demand wish.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Playing a gnome right? You get the bonus xbow improvement speed, so Fletchery may be an option for you! Possible slaying ammo and lotsa quarrels

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    As always, I'd keep a spare RoDS for emergencies, when shit hits the fan and you need backup, you can always rely on nice stuff from an on-demand wish.
    You know you will end up winning (or losing) the game with an unused wish because it is TooAwesomeToUse
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

If it's just one then I would use it but the OP has two.
    But you're probably right, I sure did end up with a lot of these RoDS unused in my games.
    That's why I usually skip the puppy quest and only wish for the dog on my way out.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Early game you might as well just use it right away. Post ToEF when you've basically got a complete set of gear anyway, there's little harm in saving a wish, but IMHO early in the game you're just making life harder for yourself for no reason. You can always use it creatively and djinni strangle a shopkeeper or something to get a bit of extra value.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinae View Post
    This gnome is going to have lots of fun! I have to try go uber dagger dual wield route this time.
    If you want to have fun dual-wielding daggers now and with style, either wish for
    1. bloody daggers and rings of regeneration (as JellySlayer suggested)
    or wish for
    2. knives of endurance and rings of slaying.

I'd go for the latter option, well aware of the fact that it won't be enough damage for the late game. But right now (just completed first DT quest) it'll be awesome: Two sources of +Regen plus a bunch of extra HP to go with that, not to mention at least +4 extra PV (since you probably maxed out To already with your three herb levels). To-hit will be quite formidable as well if you add two =ofSlaying to the +6 the knives usually have.
    gremlin - karmic lizard, dark orc, acid vortex, staring eye - dragon turtle, fairy dragon, ogre lord, minotaur emperor - pit viper, orc butcher - greater mimic, dark elven wizard, carrion crawler, dwarven child - imp - ochre jelly, dark elven archer, king cobra, goodwife - kobold shaman, magebane eye, floating eye, quickling king - giant centipede, hill orc sergeant, mimic hivemind, greater claw bug, brown bear, large gnoll - giant bee queen, giant ant warrior, shadow centipede, kobold