Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best start in 10 years

I only know from another thread a while ago. I don't precrown so I don't have actual experience for comparison. I'll let you know if remember where I heard it from.

I ressurected the old thread, it mentions piety issues pretty in depth. Looks like I was self refferencing in this thread though :/
    Last edited by Blank4u47; 12-15-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Read through that; there's also a bug report complaining about increased piety decay after precrowning. So far it just looks like high piety message levels (favors, greatly favors, extremely/absolutely close) being tied to the number of precrownings (even when you are eligible to crown), combined with piety decay being a percentage.

Edit: And then there's this: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3560 , which could also explain things (piety still going up but message moves from favors to very close)...
    Last edited by Grond; 12-16-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Ah ok, I think I misremembered things a bit, thanks for looking into it!

just to share the converse side of this thread's insane luck, I'm currently playing a grey elf wizard named Adolf. He is the first character I've made in a long, long time that wasn't [f]ate decided, and for some reason he has been plagued by a combination of bad luck and stupid mistakes that I havent made in over a decade...

First of all, despite being a grey elf wizard he has pretty weak learning (he's at level 15 and about to enter the pyramid and his learning is stubbornly stuck at 17. I spent 20,000 gold training my learning with Garth (four sessions of 5000 each), and only got two increases, but he's also had two occasions where he lost learning, the only thing i've done that can possibly drain the learning stat is passing through a dull room in the upper CoC, so he's pretty stupid for a grey elf wizard. Additionally, he's been plagued by a distinct lack of offensive spellbooks. The lack of offensive spellbooks combined with his poor learning leads to him always being almost out of offensive spells. Going into the Pyramid now and my only offensive spells are burning hands and acid bolt, and both of those are below 200 casting points. I started with alert and miser and got Treasure Hunter with my first talent from leveling up, so I'm swimming in spellbooks, but none of them are offensive spellbooks. I also just had not one, but two waterproof blankets dissolved by an ankheg, and I didn't notice they were gone, so when I swam across the river I lost most of my scrolls and two unidentified books.
    That covers it for the bad luck... on the topic of stupid mistakes, I did two at once and they were both kinda doozies... I finished the first quest from the ancient dwarf, but when he identified my equipment I forgot to ask him for the second quest, so after proceeding through the animated forest I returned to find that he asked me to kill another random monster... goodbye marble wand... also, while crossing the animated forest (I always tunnel around it), I encountered an invisible ogre magus in the hallway I was making, and my only offensive spell at the time was burning hands... I literally didn't think about the consequences at all, but just scorched him to death, meaning that now the entire animated forest is permanently hostile to me... I haven't used a fire spell in the animated forest in 15 years... I also haven't reached the animated forest without receiving the quest in a comparable amount of time... just dumb...

But it hasn't been all bad... I had to use the dwarven halls to get around the animated forest, and while I was passing through there I happened to find a set of White Dragon Scale mail... I also got Preserver from a Pulsing Power room in the Caverns of Chaos (first one I've ever found), so as long as I can keep from making anymore stupid mistakes and hopefully find some offensive spellbooks, I've got a pretty decent character here... and it would feel great to get a win on the first non-[f]ate decided character in a long time...

(edit: Adolf also just found a girdle of Giant Strength (the first and only one I've ever found in 1.2)
    Last edited by Phoobnahr; 12-16-2016 at 04:04 AM.

yeah I live Sac. Things I do to speed it up - search for altars in big open rooms like Puppy Cave cavernous levels, or other high spawn areas like Small Cave. I mine out tunnels through walls so the monsters can all run over to me by the altar. And I read books next to the altar, almost always gets interrupted for another sac.

Second one can be tedious, and if I've had luck with herbs or sold lots of Si in HMV I sac stoma or gold to finish it off faster. I can understand some people not having the patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Ouch! That's waaay too much work! Imo not worth it for just an extra 1 or 2 artifacts. I'd rather just clear darkforge and do FGJC 5. There's bound to be an ok weapon at least in darkforge which can last you through FGJC5.
    I've had TERRIBLE luck over the years with Darkforge, think the only artifact weapon I've found was Black Thumb or something equally useless. And FGJC5 is typically too hard when I first encounter it, have to come back at level 35 or so if it's undead or ancient fire wyrms.

On the other hand I've had excellent luck with getting useful precrowns. Anytime you get Protector, Perserver, BoW, Executor, ect it is a huge boost. And heck even Aylas Holy Scarf or Crown of Leadership add enough dv/pv to drastically increase your chances of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    I've had TERRIBLE luck over the years with Darkforge, think the only artifact weapon I've found was Black Thumb or something equally useless. And FGJC5 is typically too hard when I first encounter it, have to come back at level 35 or so if it's undead or ancient fire wyrms.

On the other hand I've had excellent luck with getting useful precrowns. Anytime you get Protector, Perserver, BoW, Executor, ect it is a huge boost. And heck even Aylas Holy Scarf or Crown of Leadership add enough dv/pv to drastically increase your chances of winning.
    Dang! Although I rarely get an artifact weapon from darkforge, I usually get an eternium weapon! Sometimes I get some ok armor too... if I want to settle for crystal scale. Normally I don't bother with artifact weapons anyways, there's only a few awesome ones out there that I feel are truly worth switching out for, but I never get them anyways.