Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASCII VS Graphical

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    Tiles. Easier to instantly recognise items, herb state, monster hostility.
    This. Also tiles look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    This. Also tiles look good.
    Air grue:
    163.png

Water demon:
    158.png
    A̶ ̶w̶a̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶i̶f̶e̶s̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶r̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶r̶l̶p̶o̶o̶l̶,̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶u̶m̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶w̶a̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶n̶g̶.̶
    Lesser daemon wearing a silly hat.

Orc scorcher:
    17.png
    F̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶e̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶p̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶o̶d̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶r̶m̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶g̶a̶r̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶g̶r̶u̶e̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶m̶!̶
    Orc wearing a stained shirt.

I might give the graphical another shot, just for the change of pace. It will be like looking at the game with new eyes.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

NVM, I can't take it. It just does not vibe.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

Tiles.
    Instant recognition of monster/items and I like how they look.
    Gate closed with all classes but Chaos Knight! (Still no Ultra/OCG)

I always ctrl-n m for the easy stat readout, but I defiantly prefer the tile look over the ASCII. Though I did prefer pure ASCII in the earlier versions simply because the lag was so bad on the tiles. I'm glad that, for the most part, that got fixed.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

I can see the flaws but having played adnd and lived with the images of unearthed arcana and 1st ed monster manuals maybe made me immune

Tiles, tilesize 72'ish and a somewhat large ascii minimap.

Shows me everything I need to see in line of sight around my character and the ascii map is large enough for me to spot items on the ground such as rings which I might otherwise miss in tiles since they blend in with the ground textures sometimes.

I've been playing ADOM on and off since late '95 and I had no problem at all adjusting to the mostly nice looking sprite art.

Just wanted to point out that if you find a description that totally doesn't match the sprite (like the water demon) or if you feel totally dissatisfied with the interpretation (orc scorcher) you can submit an RFE and it will get changed pretty quickly (in case of a mismatch, interpretation cases are open to discussion as there are many things to consider, like sprite color consistency, clarity, silhouette etc.). Now's a very good time as we're moving forward with animating the monsters and I'm revisiting all the sprites anyway. I hope I can catch some of those mismatched descriptions, but help is always deeply appreciated

I'm also very happy to see this discussion & watching it closely. Thanks for the kind words from tile affictionados To the ASCII fans: I totally get your point of view, we never intended to compete with the most powerful and personalized graphical engine of all - your imagination Would be impossible to find a presentation style that worked for everyone.

Edit: Also just popping in to say Merry Christmas Hope to be back even before next year starts to incorporate some of the suggestions here.
    Last edited by Ravenmore; 12-26-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Been playing since 2004. To me the Tiles are an evolution of the game. ASCII worked well but it was damn ugly TBH. It was amusing punching the alphabet to death for a while, now I'm glad the game has moved on. Sure, it's not perfect, yet for a low budget 'amateur' game (compared to big gaming companies with 100 plus employees cranking out AAA games) it looks cool and stylish. I'm sure over time it will get more graphical updates or even overhauls. Gives it more personality.