Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASCII VS Graphical

Default ASCII VS Graphical

Which do you use?

I use ASCII, as it is what I am use to; plus I can see a much larger portion of the map. I know there is a mini map, but it is hard to see.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

I use ASCII. I like being able to see more of the field, and I can immediately recognize everything.

I hear it's better now, but the early versions of the tiled mode were also very sluggish on my machine.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Same here. I think it may be a nostalgia thing, I've been playing since 1998 after all, it's hard to change! It actually took me a while to get used to the new versions as I was so stuck in my ways

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Which do you use?

I use ASCII, as it is what I am use to; plus I can see a much larger portion of the map. I know there is a mini map, but it is hard to see.
    AScii with tiles in mini map (~1/4 of lower screen). Converting to full tiles would mean i need relearn quite a lot (yellow caapital F - I know what it means and WTF to do --- sprite - I would do something silly). I DON "T play that much Adom to invest the eefort into comveting myself to the tiles user.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

First versions I played was probably really early, most likely downloaded from tucows or similar but I didn't grind it that much because of the difficulty.
    The graphics changed the game for me, I guess my sense of imagination is very much the same as the imagination of those who made the graphics.
    I look at mini map to locate stairs on scouted maps and I use F10 to screen shot greater vaults in both ascii and graphics.

I exclusively use ASCII.
    Graphics is the last thing I expect from a roguelike, it's the mechanics and gameplay that keep me hooked.
    If I want to play a game that looks good, I launch the new Tomb Raider or any of the open-world games by Bethesda in recent years.

ADOM is a bit like reading a book. You have to imagine all those nasty monsters, items, locations, spells...
    With graphics, that part of the game is forced down on me as a specific interpretation by a graphical artist.
    I don't mind the quality that we've seen from the Adom crew, it's top notch.
    However, a lot of the stuff in the tiles looks very different from how I've been imagining it all those years.
    I like mine better.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Only ASCII for me.

For >10 years of playing I managed to obtain some sort of reflexes, like fast hitting 'Z+c4' to cast a spell and hold the key for certain number of seconds to genocide room of kobolds.
    This, plus my own imagination makes the ADOM to be magic because all the 50+ keys and commands are now at my fingertips, giving me full access to the fantasy world of Ancardia.
    All these reflexes do not much the graphic version at all, mostly because some little acts, like hitting monster or opening the spell list consume incredible amounts of time and even produce some sound (weird!). The fast metronome of char with a shield inside the spider factory is just an example.
    Last edited by littlebrather; 12-24-2016 at 12:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

Tiles. Easier to instantly recognise items, herb state, monster hostility. Can't go back after those perks, although I do switch to ascii to be able to get a proper view of the whole map.

I also play with tiles now. I'm ascii generation adom player too, but I switched to tiles. Like auricbond said it's easier to recognise items on the ground etc with tiles. I like that feature. And minimap is ok size on my 42" screen, no need to switch between modes. I do switch to old ascii stat bar and text window with ctrl + n m. I don't like graphical interface personally.

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    Tiles. Easier to instantly recognise items, herb state, monster hostility. Can't go back after those perks
    Having tiles in minimap provides all these perks, while also allowing to see whole map...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)