Thread: Converting altar

Default Converting altar

I'm crowned neutral, and thought I could convert a lawful altar by saccing a goblin chieftan. But I get a "Take this for your impudence," and all items are cursed. So which god did that and can I still convert altars after crowning? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mitres View Post
    I'm crowned neutral, and thought I could convert a lawful altar by saccing a goblin chieftan. But I get a "Take this for your impudence," and all items are cursed. So which god did that and can I still convert altars after crowning? Thanks.
    That was the lawful diety that cursed you, as long as you didn't switch to L all is fine (sort of atleast).
    To convert an altar you need a lot more than a live sac.
    I'm not sure on the exact numbers but I usually go for atleast 40k gold, probably doable with less.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    That was the lawful diety that cursed you, as long as you didn't switch to L all is fine (sort of atleast).
    To convert an altar you need a lot more than a live sac.
    I'm not sure on the exact numbers but I usually go for atleast 40k gold, probably doable with less.
    You certainly can convert with live sacs early on. As far as I can tell the game understands a sac to either be 'small' or 'large'. What counts as large increases as the game progresses, most likely with level.

I regularly convert with live sacs but like auricbond said, it's in the early game.
    The key problem in later game is that if you have been crowned, by accumulating sufficient piety with one deity, the other deities might be pretty angry with you.
    Small sacrifices go to the altar's deity, big ones go to your deity.
    That said, 5k gold is usually enough to convert, even for crowned or precrowned chars.
    If you saced a lot then try 10k to be safe. 40k is a total overkill.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Thanks. Now I get it. Seems like my god should be a bit more protective and less mercenary though

Thanks. Now I get it. Seems like my god should be a bit more protective and less mercenary though
    lol, try telling that to any rl religious group.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Adom deities are much more like the old testament vengeful Yahweh than your typical turn-the-other-cheek Jesus.
    On the bright side, they actually offer some tangible, physical benefits in exchange for being pious.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Seems like my champion should be a bit more faithful and less mercenary though...
    -Mitres' god after he makes a sacrifice on another god's altar
    Last edited by Phoobnahr; 01-06-2017 at 05:48 PM.