Thread: What's the Concentration training buffer?

Default What's the Concentration training buffer?

So here's the deal. I'm playing the current weekly challenge: ratling necromancer with H--- and ^+. It's a subsequent playthrough, so I'm mostly testing strategies rather than going for max points.

The character's got a shitty Le and skill dice values, so I've decided to see how much I could get out of training him on (the rather numerous) traps. The idea was to give him time to passively appraise the inventory gathered so far and execute burden-based strength training while boosting First Aid by repeatedly triggering traps and healing up (via FA, then naturally). I'd only used Knock thrice to open some doors and Frost Bolt twice to get rid of some pit vipers before the trap training. So a total of five spellcastings, and 3 or 4 successful attempts to read a book. I'm level 2 with 273 xp total, so I only leveled up once.

I started my experiment with a spear trap at around turn #4000 and moved on to a nearby pit. Drop, FA, climb out, w5, rinse and repeat. I kept receiving small Concentration increases for over 60k turns (maybe even 70k!) despite being at full PP the entire time, and trained it this way from around 70 (3d3 die IIRC) all the way up to 91 (1d5 die).

Just how deep is this training buffer? Is it supposed to give out increases for such a long period of time?

In short, yes.

You will get skill increases on a very random basis, but the more you use a skill the more often you get skill increases. FYI, bookcasting is a better way to train concentration and Ma, as it doesn't use spell knowledge.

I know about the nature of skill training, but 60000+ turns does seem like a somewhat excessive number, especially considering the number of actions I made that would trigger it. The training buffer doesn't seem quite this deep with other skills.

I've just remembered that Skill increase system was somewhat altered in the last releases. Since you managed to change the game properties, I suppose you play resurrection version of some kind. So this is how things work now. Skill increase is not ultimately connected with activity you do. Most known was the Pickpocketing change, that you could not raise it from 1 to 100 just by repeating thousands times, another random skill would increase instead.
    Last edited by littlebrather; 01-26-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

Quote Originally Posted by moozooh View Post
    So here's the deal. I'm playing the current weekly challenge: ratling necromancer with H--- and ^+. It's a subsequent playthrough, so I'm mostly testing strategies rather than going for max points.

The character's got a shitty Le and skill dice values, so I've decided to see how much I could get out of training him on (the rather numerous) traps. The idea was to give him time to passively appraise the inventory gathered so far and execute burden-based strength training while boosting First Aid by repeatedly triggering traps and healing up (via FA, then naturally). I'd only used Knock thrice to open some doors and Frost Bolt twice to get rid of some pit vipers before the trap training. So a total of five spellcastings, and 3 or 4 successful attempts to read a book. I'm level 2 with 273 xp total, so I only leveled up once.

I started my experiment with a spear trap at around turn #4000 and moved on to a nearby pit. Drop, FA, climb out, w5, rinse and repeat. I kept receiving small Concentration increases for over 60k turns (maybe even 70k!) despite being at full PP the entire time, and trained it this way from around 70 (3d3 die IIRC) all the way up to 91 (1d5 die).

Just how deep is this training buffer? Is it supposed to give out increases for such a long period of time?
    Purely speculative (from various silly things I've done in Adom):
    -skill increases take long time in general (something like smithing goes up silly late after smithing up in mid-game --- at least in 1.1.1)
    -if long time without skill raising activities, last trained skill will go up eventually (I would speculate there is max amount of turns before skill raise is forced)
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrather View Post
    I've just remembered that Skill increase system was somewhat altered in the last releases. Since you managed to change the game properties, I suppose you play resurrection version of some kind. So this is how things work now. Skill increase is not ultimately connected with activity you do. Most known was the Pickpocketing change, that you could not raise it from 1 to 100 just by repeating thousands times, another random skill would increase instead.
    The skill increase system is unchanged. You can repeatedly use any skill and it will still only randomly increase. Sometimes another skill you used forever ago will increase instead, because there's still just a random chance of an increase within a randomized interval of time. Most of my characters get 0-9 skill increases per interval in spite of using skills all the time. (9 skill increases was kinda crazy, it only happened once, but it took up the whole message buffer plus another line)

Edit: my experiences coincide with soirana's for his points.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    -if long time without skill raising activities, last trained skill will go up eventually (I would speculate there is max amount of turns before skill raise is forced)
    FWIW I was still getting regular Climbing and First Aid increases due to repeatedly falling into the pit, taking damage, healing up, and climbing out. Actually managed to raise Climbing to 100 that game—without ever rolling the die on level ups. FA was either 98 or 100 by the end.

The strategy itself seems to be somewhat sound for games where hunger or high corruption rate aren't a pressing issue. Arguably it would've been much more effective had I had Healing and Alertness, since I'd be able to train four skills at the same time with less downtime. Especially considering how universally useful Alertness and Healing are.

Thanks for your input!