Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Silfir: From Zero to Hero in Six Small Steps

Mindcrafter at least can bluff (confuse) his way out of many situations...if you get 3 talents you can select the heir gift, empowered robe of protection, which is a bit of PV.
    Thief/Farmer/Merchant are real weak here, but with coin throwing mabye merch's can be okay, with long stride and quick talents. Get a few levels (in SMC) and then mabye the UD is doable.

Another thing is swimming skill. Without it, chars really take damage in rivers. Need many HPs and prayers to get across then. Humans have swimming as race, and quite a few classes too. Barb gets it, and the make them a tiny bit better than the evaluation. No healing and no swimming is one way to starve to death in the UD...

I believe the really weak classes will need a tough race to back it up. Bard is survivable enough, so Dwarf may go to the weakest class we get.

About mission 1, it would probably be best to remain in the dungeon as long as possible if it appears safe to do so. It is danger level around 6-7-8-9, so I believe it doesn't corrupt until day 90. However, we are not allowed to go to the pyramid until mission 3, and that we ideally should complete all (or at least first 4) dwarf quests, which we only can do at mission 2. So our PC level must not grow to be so high that we are shut out from pyramid.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

I note we're allowed to visit the Dusty Dungeon. So if a mindcrafter got the wand later that might help him through the SMC.

You'd be taking a big risk though - you'd have to clear all the other stuff and hope you got the magic mapping or item detection.

Very true. Human for a non-swimming class sounds very, very reasonable.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    Mindcrafter at least can bluff (confuse) his way out of many situations...if you get 3 talents you can select the heir gift, empowered robe of protection, which is a bit of PV.
    Thief/Farmer/Merchant are real weak here, but with coin throwing mabye merch's can be okay, with long stride and quick talents.
    But we gotta be prepared because with the current class picking system, all teams are gonna end up with at least one of those. People are gonna pick strong classes and in the end everyone is going to have to pick a weaker one, that's why we gotta be prepared to play those classes no matter what. I already volunteered to play a thief beucase i'm comfortable with them. There are Mindcrafter winners here thou, so mindicrafters should be upper in the list. In we a re gonna get weak classes no matter what, we might as well increase our chances of getting the ones we think we can play.

Now... about the number of players. I think all teams are full. Grey's is the last thread and the 5th member already signed up. We might wait a little longer and if it's the case there might be a 5th team.

If we end up with 6 - I guess we just rotate who sits out each round? There are 6 rounds, so that could work out. Assuming at least one character wins, everyone will get to play at least once.

If someone dies, well that messes up the rotate too. Say, I play 3 times without rotate, and just before my turn to get skipped....I die. So who skips then?

Better to have more teams.

Class picking tactics - We should put our very worst pick last. I think we have very low odds of actually getting our last pick. It would only happen if we are drawn last-for-final-pick, and mabye not even then, if some other team has a different last pick. So very last pick is important. Is there any class none of us like?

So last pick, about 80% chance to avoid that completely. Which would we _really_ not see?

For me, I'd hate
    Farmer/Merchant/Mindcrafter/Thief

Farmer - has a big dog. He also has herbs. He sadly has no guaranteed PV at the start from equipment, regardless of race. (Well, trolls, but, duh) One way to play this, could be enter trrinyo for quests, enter SMC to generate level 2 monsters (I think this is smart, not 100% sure though), then get down to the healer and kill him, get back out for healing skill, hit SMC and then dive UD. He can afford to level up to 2 or 3, and the dog pet should be able to get some kills for him. After first levelup, train gardening skill, then attempt to plant herbs on a bottom line in VD. This will give moss/morgia patch. If it works, we should be set. Let dog get kills (you can attack monsters on coward to make them hit you while dog works on them). If not, we still get healing and are pretty low level. For all the good that does us.

Mindcrafter - This is not a last for me. Again, confusion can be used to avoid getting exp while diving to and killing healer. Or one could level to 6 and blast most SMC monsters (undead will wreck us though). Still versatile enough to be okay. Mabye.

Merchant - Dwarf merchant starts with a chain mail, so they should be okay. Or at least as okay as any of us will me. Extra talent means fast mithril skin too. And coin toss from the get-go, improving with level. A pretty strong combo, actually. Orcs start with 3 PV studded leather, decent survivability potential. But not something I would relish fighting (alongside) with.

Thief - Leather armor I think all get. Orc get studded for 3 PV. Orc is probably best for this loser class, with some find weakness to pump the damage. Still. Hrm.

If I get orc thief, I think I could make it survive, same with dwarven merchant. But these are my least favourite classes.

All these considerations are of course with the SMC-UD line in mind. One thing to consider, is that any class without healing won't get it until mission 3 unless they go for an early VD slam. So even more powerful PCs might consider getting it. Ogre cave - without healing? Arena? Big room?
    Last edited by Molach; 08-10-2009 at 08:20 PM.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

classes with no swimming for human:

Archer
    Assassin
    Bard
    Farmer
    Fighter
    Healer
    Merchant
    Mindrcrafter
    Monk
    Necromancer
    Priest
    Thief
    Weaponsmith
    Wizard

Thats a really big pool to only decide human on the swimming skill. I really dont think its that big of a deal, potions of carrot juice aren't that rare I usually find 4 or 5 before CoC.

Wizard has a chance for frost bolt to start with, and Necro almost always starts with frost bolt which makes swimming obsolete in the early game, and out of the other classes, Priest and Healer have both herbalism and Healing which means they cant opt to get the spellbook of frost bolt from the druid.
    Last edited by Sradac; 08-10-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Well, Teams will probably stay the same, but inflated. So for all intents and purposes, I'm still here.

Whetever list you post is fine by me Silfir, with that many players and repeating classes evryone will get about the same amount of good and crappy classes. We play like men and don't complain...=P

Just post it on Baranor's topic and let's get this thing moving already.

Without looking at any other lists, I predict that we will be getting Paladin. I also think we have a good shot at ending up with one other very good class somewhere in the range between elementalist and priest, possibly ranger (someone will have rated it higher I think), fighter, and bard. It shouldn't get worse than thief.

EDIT: Oh wait. The other teams, and the unclear distribution... We'll see what happens. If I understood the procedure right, my predictions are still valid, though they might not be going as expected.

Looking at gut's list, it won't be priest. We can live with that.

I made my best effort to make this the best UD run list I could manage in such short time. Only taking those three lists, we should receive Paladin, Druid OR Healer, Elementalist, Fighter, Thief... That would be three excellent classes plus Fighter, which is okay, and thief, which pblack claims to be able to play.

Keep your fingers crossed... Won't get better the more lists are posted.
    Last edited by Silfir; 08-10-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

It's a good list with good distribution Silfir. It's best to fight winning battles (meaning, be sure to get good enough classes instead of fighting for the "best" ones).

I guess we'll need another race pick as well and that could come as a good surprise for our semi-caster picks.