Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Silfir: From Zero to Hero in Six Small Steps

I know how to play, for sure. But when there is lots of high-end players I might be the "worst" one here.
    Who knows.
    I'm familiar with any combo, so I'm fine no matter what you decide to give me.

I too, second that Hurthling should be a Paladin and Human should be Elementalist.

I also know how to play, but I still make newbie mistakes sometimes. I'm really nervous about getting through mission 1 - but that doesn't mean give me the best character - I'd be even more nervous I'd mess up a good character.

If we're definitely going high elf healer then hurthling paladin and human elementalist sounds fine.

As far as the dusty dungeon - there's only one class in this entire competition that I think should go there in mission 1, and that's the mindcrafter. I don't think it's worth it for us. I think we can go back there for the dwarven graveyard mission though. Mission 3?

Mission: Entering SMC and leaving is very much allowed. Whichchar did this?

Mission 3 allowes all locations from mission 1, so pick up teleport wand then.

Elementalist got owned by water snakes? Pool-sipping is generally a bad idea, too much randomness.

Remember startup questions. Good way to add toughness to chars. Questions are in the guidebook, some are like -Ch and + something useful,

Who will want to play a high elf healer? Anyone tried this? Starts without elven chain, which is the thing that makes high elf paladin decent. I'd give that char 3 minutes to live, normally.

Human paladin is no prob, great PV, for that matter.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    Mission: Entering SMC and leaving is very much allowed. Whichchar did this?

Mission 3 allowes all locations from mission 1, so pick up teleport wand then.

Elementalist got owned by water snakes? Pool-sipping is generally a bad idea, too much randomness.

Remember startup questions. Good way to add toughness to chars. Questions are in the guidebook, some are like -Ch and + something useful,

Who will want to play a high elf healer? Anyone tried this? Starts without elven chain, which is the thing that makes high elf paladin decent. I'd give that char 3 minutes to live, normally.

Human paladin is no prob, great PV, for that matter.
    Silfir was saying we might want the high elf healer for the +dodge later, which was why it came down to human/hurthling and elementalist/paladin.

I said "we might want". I think we can't afford that, precisely because the resulting high elf healer is so weak. If we're going after potential heir gift value, the Healer's elven chain mail is by far the most potentially useful of them all, jumpstarting the zero PV squishy true berserking healer to 5 PV safe early game.

Hurthling's primary advantage is the rock offense. Giving it to paladins, who have armor and melee advantage already, and leaving healer with zero things to rely on... I wouldn't do it. I mean, just as Molach said... Would any of you feel confident keeping that Healer alive? I know I wouldn't.

That's why I'd still go for hurthling healer, human elementalist and high elven paladin as of right now. Those are all not terribly easy, but if played right they should be able to do it all.

Sradac, if you can ensure a safe return to the SMC even with a level 8, 9 or higher character, then by all means take that opportunity. One can't always get that luxury. I think tapi's hurthling beastfighter in Team gut got stairs right next to each other and leveled to 12 before breezing through the UD.

I think by mission four it's not the r/c combo anymore that decides which class is most powerful. But when it comes down to it, deciding the roster in a way that gives the dwarf merchant to a certain player in mission 4 should not be hard.

EDIT: Well... Got high elf healer off the ground just now. There was some luck involved with early monsters. Healers are BUILT for true berserking though. They don't care if they lose HP in battle, as long as they are the last one left standing.

EDIT2: Hurthling healer with chain mail in the SMC. Spent 100 turns not killing monsters, and them trying to kill me. Chain mail absorbed part, rest healed. What. The. Fuck.

Okay. Switched to aggressive. It IS less risky. Found brass knuckles, switching to unarmed combat... for damage.
    Last edited by Silfir; 08-12-2009 at 07:10 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I support Silfir's race choices.

Hurthling healer can scum around a bit. Go to terinyo, talk to girl, go to PC:2, and you should be able to get some rocks from the ants' digging, while at coward and running about. Does not need to kill anything there. Rocks = survive. However, I'm torn between which village quest is best, as he has both healing and herbalism. Healer will get some form of healing later on, which is pretty good to combine with jharod to obtain nice healing potions. Torc is ..meh, so main benefit from druid quest is a spellbook and a PoCC. Mabye we can wait till mission 3 to decide what he needs then.

High Elf healer, on the other hand, needs to find something to survive. A good weapon, armor or offensive spellbook. Risky. It's not just the SMC, you need to be able to take down medium-difficult monsters in UD too.

Dwarf merchant is actually pretty easy class for this dive. Answer questions that give + toughness, take hardy and the PV line, by level 6 you have mithril skin, +9 PV from chain mail and talents (plus mabye something from toughness and some odds and ends). Generate SMC like someone said, 100 turns reading them warning scrolls, then get healing. It would be safe to get healing either way, I think. Just remember to talk to crime lord first, just in case you need to go for the kill. Kill Jharod should put you at neutral, so pick up the pickpocket skill as well. Getting healing skill is mabye not needed for the UD, but sure nice considering mission 2 (ogre cave and passing big room a few times). But again, not totally needed.

I'd still create high elf paladin and human elementalist, because while human paladin has more starting PV, it is pretty low-level stuff, while the high elfs elven (mithril) chain is better long term. You'll find a metal cap and basic shield soon enough. High elf elementalist has better mana, but elementalists get same spells on levelup. Better to be tougher in melee (high elf's low to isn't helping in that regard)

All classes should probably if possible enter the bandit village, get pickpocket if neutral/chaotic, lure shiriff there and get a free amulet of order if lawful, check out shop to hopefully ID some stuff. Low-ST races can do terinyo food-training if they have cash to build strength. Wasting time is no problem, as long as exp doesn't rise. Lure any hostile to crime lord and let them killit there. Only problem can be assassins, watch out for them.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

You plan on abusing the question system in this competition? How utterly degenerate and pathetic.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Questions are allowed? I was assuming everything had to be set randomly except for race and class. It's important to know if questions are really allowed or not.

Alright, no question system. Don't need it anyway.

Unless there are objections, I'll lock the r/c combos now:

High Elven Paladin
    Hurthling Healer
    Human Elementalist
    Orcish Monk
    Dwarven Merchant

I'd play any of these except the monk.

Sradac voiced his interest in playing the Human Elementalist. Molach will take the Orcish Monk I think (the Monk is fine as long as you keep him away from me). Harwin and Subconscious have professed to be willing to give a try to all the remaining combos, which are High Elven Paladin, Hurthling Healer and Dwarven Merchant. Call dibs. I'll take what's left over. Choose whichever you think has the highest chance of survival for you.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Altough the dwarf is my favourite class, I dont feel like playing Merchant. The lack of healing is just so troublesome. Im not saying that getting it would be a problem but I hate passing SMC after completing the village elder quest. You need lots of luck in that.

Healer and Paladin are fine for me. I'll take whatever is left. Preferably Paladin. (Altough im not very into elven melee characters)