Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Silfir: From Zero to Hero in Six Small Steps

Hot damn. This actually puts us at 6! Just like that. Only 5 chars to go, though.

About those classes, I trust Silf with that. And we can win with anything, even the Loser class. (No extra skills, no class powers, learn spells like barbs and melee like wizards)
    Last edited by Molach; 08-09-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

I agree with silfir that if we get bard, dwarf is the way to go. Cave bear owns early game. I might even say that it is the combo with the highest chance for survival in the UD.

Healer is a usual tough cookie. But i never played one and I recall it doesn't really get many offensive spells.
    But if it ends up being our only magic class I think High elf is good for it since healers get more toughness. But only if it ends up being our only magic pick.

If anyone feels confident with a certain combo (like the orc elementalist) i think it's worth putting it up in the list. IMO playing a combo you have played before and knows the strenghts and weaknesses nets better results than playing a strong combo that you know nothing about. I for instance have never played fighters or beastfighters if you can believe that...=P. And I don't do well with monks. It's just not my playstyle.

Of course...between all of us here there's enough experience with strong combos (dwarf paladin, etc) to justify putting strong classes up in the list. But if this was a team where noone had any real experience with archers for example, i would bump archers to the low teens for sure. Wouldn't think twice. But there IS experience with strong combos here, so there's no reason to put merchant as #1 =P

Being honest... in the last three months I have not played one single strong class. I am much more used to playing Assassins, Thieves, Nercomancers, Merchants, Mindcrafters and Bards than I am playing monks or Wizards. So that's why I say that I volunteer to play any underdog that shows up (Just haven't played any farmers seriously). I would be really more comfortable leaving stronger classes for the rest of you since I think I can get better results with less popular choices =P

Hm... Maybe dwarf should go for elementalist then, since he has higher Learning and therefore better skills. But these considerations can wait until we actually do get our classes picked.

I hope the server teams will be opened soon... with six players we're already slightly over limit.
    Last edited by Silfir; 08-09-2009 at 07:48 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Dwarf bard pet is nice, human and high elf pet is pretty weak. I know we have race restrictions, but what about class? Each class can only be used once? Who picks these classes then, Silfir or we all agree on it? I'd say im most conforable playing wizard, elementalist, priest, assassin, ranger, or necro since I have the most experience with those. Got a feeling no one is going to want the necro, I wouldnt mind playing as an Orc or Human necro. I'm leaning more towards Human since I know everyone wants the Orc for find weakness.

Edit 1 :

Hurthling Necro would work too. Gets Food preservation just like Humans which will help alot getting plenty of corpses early game, but they also get that extra talent and Archery. I could care less about cooking and Gardening. Dodge is good and all from the high elf but...they're a bit too squishy for a necro for my tastes. It looks like it might be human is my choice after reviewing stats, that +2 to Le will help with spell and skill gains.
    Last edited by Sradac; 08-09-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    Dwarf bard pet is nice, human and high elf pet is pretty weak. I know we have race restrictions, but what about class? Each class can only be used once? Who picks these classes then, Silfir or we all agree on it? I'd say im most conforable playing wizard, elementalist, priest, assassin, ranger, or necro since I have the most experience with those. Got a feeling no one is going to want the necro, I wouldnt mind playing as an Orc or Human necro. I'm leaning more towards Human since I know everyone wants the Orc for find weakness.

Edit 1 :

Hurthling Necro would work too. Gets Food preservation just like Humans which will help alot getting plenty of corpses early game, but they also get that extra talent and Archery. I could care less about cooking and Gardening. Dodge is good and all from the high elf but...they're a bit too squishy for a necro for my tastes. It looks like it might be human is my choice after reviewing stats, that +2 to Le will help with spell and skill gains.
    Classes are going to be picked with the "highest choice available method". Wich means we should order all classes in the order of most desireable to least desireable and then every team gets to pick one from its own list (the highest ranked class that has not been picked already). In the end all classes will be chosen so that's why silfir asked us to say wich underdog classes we like the most so that we can rank them better (meaning...ranking them above the expected for the other teams to rank them) so we can have a better chance at picking them. I guess your pick is necromancer then.

I vote for letting Silfir come up with the beta list and then we just tweak it if we feel its necessary. Just remembering that the challenge is about the OVERALL survivability of the team, so we should all try to fit the r/c combos (once we have the classes) the best we can to each player.

EDIT: I didn't realize I was the 6th member until just now. I will wait it out and if it evens out in the end, i'll stay, but i have no problem changing up to gut's team if necessary, me being the extra team member i have no problem with that. I just can't really play on the server... for me is REALLY laggy (Brazil and all...=P)
    Last edited by pblack; 08-09-2009 at 09:39 PM.

I'd rather not post a list here. But I'll take all the input. Keep discussing!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Alright then, here is my order of classes on a scale of 1-10

Archer : 7- Yep only a 7. I know a lot of people would rate an archer as a 9 or 10 but I honestly have never really had much fun playing one. Hurthling or Orc

Assassin: 9- I love assassins, tons of style and fun and have a great skill set, basically a theif on steroids. They dont get disarm traps, but who cares. With their high Dx they can avoid basically any trap they detect. Orc or High Elf.

Barbarian: 6- Big, tough, dumb. Not my style. I prefer either magic using chars or chars that are quick and stealthy. Orc or Dwarf

Bard: 1-10, Avg 5- Bards are all about luck, they get some really nice abilities but if you start with a bad skill set you're in for a tough early game, Im not much of a person to rely on luck but logic and skill so I'd prefer to stay away from them. Dwarf for the pet.

Beastfighter: 3- For the simple fact I rarely play them. They are good classes, but this is about what I'd be most comfortable with. Keep the beastfighter away from me if you want me to survive! Orc or Dwarf

Druid: 8- Played quite a few of these and the friendly animals is great. Starting with Lightning bolt is even better. I'd be quite comfortable with a druid. Human or Hurthling

Elementalist: 10- I play these guys all the time and love them. Played every race as an Elementalist and did well with all except for troll which we dont have so its nothing to worry about. Orc!

Farmer: 2- Seriously. I've played maybe...3 farmers in all the years of adom. Hurthling, they need that talent and archery.

Fighter: 6- They can be very good chars, but kinda boring just like the barb. I'll play one if no one else does, but would prefer something else. Dwarf or Orc

Healer: 7- High survival rate, nice abilities, decent spellcasters. Wouldnt mind having a healer. Dwarf.

Merchant: 1- Rated lower than farmer! Other than fling the bling I got no idea how to play a merchant. Hurthling

Mindcrafter: 4- I've played a lot of mindcrafters but they were almost exclusively Drakelings for that acid spit against undead and chaotics. Not sure how well I'd do as a non-drakeling. Hurthling or Human.

Monk: 7 - Good well balanced characters. Strong melee, Decent Magic, good missile. I've had good luck with monks in the past. Any but high elf.

Necromancer: 10 - Plenty of practice with these guys, got a human Necro im playing right now as I type this. Went straight to the SMC and took forever to find the stairs down. Went through 5 pets (Made a profit of +1 Ma) and got to level 8. on UD 4 in a gnoll vault. Human!

Paladin: 5 - Only Paladins i've done well with were Dark Elf and Drakeling, since we have neither I'll leave this class to someone else that can play it better than me. Dwarf or High Elf

Priest: 8 - Sturdy characters and go great with a Dwarf. Dwarf.

Ranger: 6 - I have a lot of fun with rangers but the fartherst I've managed to get one is human ranger to ToEF. They start out strong but I can never seem to keep them going. I COULD play one but I think someone else mentioned they love rangers. Probably better to let them handle it. Dwarf or Human

Theif: 4 - A gimped assassin. Level 50 ability is cool and all but yeah, you got to GET to level 50 first. Hurthling or Orc

Weaponsmith: 2. Blah...there is absolutely nothing to this class that appeals to me. Scumming for Ore and melee heavy is not my cup of tea. Dwarf?

Wizard: 8 - Wizard with the option of either Dwarf, High Elf, Orc, Human, or Hurthling...Need I say more? wont rank it a 10 since I have druid, necro, and elementalist so high which i got a feeling not many people would want those classes. All races are viable here.

SO top choices for Sradac Are: Necromancer, Elementalist, Assassin, Druid, Priest, and Wizard.

EDIT:

Im dropping in which Race i would see being the best for each class that we have. This is in my opinion, not something the team has to go by. Just letting our fearless leader know my abilities and comfort level.
    Last edited by Sradac; 08-09-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

If I were team gut I'd go for the weaponsmith... Dodge added to the skillset is nice. With only one high elf though...

I've won with:
    Beastfighter
    Mindcrafter
    Wizard
    Farmer
    Barbarian

Archer for some reason I'm bad at, and all my wins were with some amount of herb scumming (but no ID scumming).

I'm terrible with pets, so no necro or bard for me.

My Thoughts:

Paladin, Priest, Healer: Good at everything. Excellent starting equipment - which means easy start. The first mission is all about surviving so I see these as the best all-around good classes. *****

Second place would go to Druids, Wizards, Necros, Elementalists. Druids have good starting equipment compared to others and Elementalists survive early thanks to their burning hands. All these classes might strugle early with their low To with weak classes and low Le and Ma with tough classes. ****

Ranger, Archer. I'd pick Rangers before Archer due healing. I think Monks and Beastfighter are classified here too ***

Assassins, Barbarians, Fighters. Etc. The lack of healing makes them unreliable early, great choice though if we get 'Candle' or find some good armor. **

Basically the rest. I dont feel safe playing SMC->UD rush with Mindcrafters, Thieves and such. Farmers, Smiths and such are not a good choice either. *