Thread: First attempt going for an epic - killed by a frost salamander

Default First attempt going for an epic - killed by a frost salamander

I have never won with an epic ending, so I am hunting for an amulet of life saving.

I have a wizard with a teleport spell and teleport control, and decide I just have to go to darkforge and try the pools there on the off-chance I get a wish.

While drinking from the pools, I get cursed and doomed AND lose my teleport control, so I assume I am screwed, BUT, I also get teleportitis and eventually invisible intrinsic (and am aged into middle-age - it happens) and am hopping all over the place. I drink every pool dry, and am still cursed and doomed when I leave. I had decent DV/PV, and acid ball, so managed to get past the steel golems, and steal the crown of science. The armor room had "Nature's companion", which was pretty sweet.

I wander into the some of the random dungeons after that, find a massive tension room of giants and an altar. I got my inventory cursed when I convert the altar, but manage, because of how many giants there are, to get crowned and get un-doomed. I remember a scroll shop in the tomb of the high kings and find an uncurse scroll that I bless and phew... all my equipment is back to at least uncursed status.

I'm then wondering what else to do, so decide to do some Ice Queen quests. I realize while crossing the training grounds that I'm not cold-proofed, so decide (yes, in the middle of the crazy fighting) to swap nature's companion with the mummy wrappings. I take the armor off, and a frost salamander starts hitting me, but I'm not really paying attention, and bang, I'm dead.

Ultimately, all my deaths are stupid ones where I am not paying attention to something!
    Attached Files Attached Files

if you're Cursed (or is it only doomed? not certain) the chance of gaining a wish from a pool is 0%
    Closed Gate with: Orc Barbarian, Orc Paladin
    Ultra'd with: Gnome Weaponsmith (L+)

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    if you're Cursed (or is it only doomed? not certain) the chance of gaining a wish from a pool is 0%
    Yes - I found this out afterwards, which is probably why I drank the pools dry. Read up on it!

I had a very promising character execute himself with a magic missile spell a couple of days ago - wizard, ticking along well without any issues, red dragon scale mail was a real bonus and made the ToEF easy-peasy, and, the +14 PV was fantatic, water temple, easy, found a pair of seven league boots in the ToEF, but had a wish from converting a bunch of rings, lots of potions of exchange (which weren't that necessary after the amulet of life saving).

Executing with a magic missile is pretty common for me - I'm on fully automatic and hit an 8 rather than a 7 (I don't have a number pad, to they are arranged in a line and it's easy), and poof, 200+HP gone in 1 turn.

That game was one of the best for me - everything was going my way and I was really lucky with drops and spells. I've had another game since where I couldn't find a climbing set or thick gauntlets (I usually keep a couple of pairs on me) and now have poison hands. No drinking potions, no picking potions up, no dipping things in holy water. No gain attributes etc.. etc... And, because no climbing set, no Tome of Donors for gaining attributes (Ruined Libram at that point). The game is a mixed bag.