Thread: Is whip training effective?

Default Is whip training effective?

From what I've read a whip trains dex.

Current character (who lost her spear of mayhem to a trap) found a whip of devastation (5d3+6) which I've used it a bit but no dex increases.
    Is the training a very small amount or does it mainly affect low dex (19/35 currently) ?

I did also find not one but two bloody daggers and they seem more effective in regards to pure damage output (str 17).

I assume the whip is about as flimsy as the daggers in regards to item destruction.

On my way to dwarf town so no garantueed weapons yet.

To my knowledge, whips do not train dx. They just get dmg bonuses from dx instead of str.
    Whips are much more easily destroyed as well, but at least you'll be safe from rust monsters unlike with bloody daggers. I'd highly recommend the bloody daggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    To my knowledge, whips do not train dx. They just get dmg bonuses from dx instead of str.
    Whips are much more easily destroyed as well, but at least you'll be safe from rust monsters unlike with bloody daggers. I'd highly recommend the bloody daggers.
    Thanks.

Weird, I have a memory in the back of my head that it was the case, no idea where that came from.
    I'll use the whip as rusty weapon.
    Bloody daggers are really good even with sub 20 str and probably takes me through the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Thanks.

Weird, I have a memory in the back of my head that it was the case, no idea where that came from.
    I'll use the whip as rusty weapon.
    Bloody daggers are really good even with sub 20 str and probably takes me through the forest.
    Yeah even though bloody daggers only do mediocre damage, there crit ratio totally makes up for it! If you find a whip of slaughtering though, it's definitely worth a switch.

I'd say that for Dualists (specially elven or hurtling) Whips are worthwhile weapons, they don't really need the raw damage (due to their bonuses), and whips have a similar skill progression as Polearms which aren't realistic ...

Just sad that there aren't any artifact whips to use
    Closed Gate with: Orc Barbarian, Orc Paladin
    Ultra'd with: Gnome Weaponsmith (L+)

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    I'd say that for Dualists (specially elven or hurtling) Whips are worthwhile weapons, they don't really need the raw damage (due to their bonuses), and whips have a similar skill progression as Polearms which aren't realistic ...

Just sad that there aren't any artifact whips to use
    It's quite a drawback having to use destructable weapons, I've gotten a bit paranoid from fighting Annihilators.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    It's quite a drawback having to use destructable weapons, I've gotten a bit paranoid from fighting Annihilators.
    At least with duelists you can use kiting tactics to take out annihliators, not to mention being able to hit them a few times before they react seriously duelists are way too overpowered.