Thread: GFX loading

Default GFX loading

I just updated to v72 from 64, and am wondering about the "Loading graphics:" progress bar every time I start the game. Is there a setting or way to cache the graphics so I don't have to see that every time? I get shorter ones when first entering an area too. I'm running it on an old machine, but never saw anything like that earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by mitres View Post
    I just updated to v72 from 64, and am wondering about the "Loading graphics:" progress bar every time I start the game. Is there a setting or way to cache the graphics so I don't have to see that every time? I get shorter ones when first entering an area too. I'm running it on an old machine, but never saw anything like that earlier.
    It's one of r69 changes.

From the blog:
    Zeno has added preloading for images (and a corresponding loading bar) to the game. Hopefully this speeds up the graphical UI on slower systems during the game (although startup now might take longer). We also are working on another batch of graphical performance improvements that will foot on an internal caching system for expensive changes. We have not yet included this in the current release as it still needs some work and also requires extensive testing.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Thanks Soirana.