Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcing the ADOM QueenSlayer Competition!

Default Announcing the ADOM QueenSlayer Competition!

The contest is now over! See below for the winners!

Announcing the ADOM QueenSlayer competition, brought to you by the /r/roguelikes Discord! This competition is a bit different than the last one, as it is a modified speed run... the goal is to kill the Ice Queen in her castle and leave the Drakalor Chain in the fewest number of turns! Here are the terms:

* All players must start with the same starting game save (provided on the discord, link below), which is a Drakeling Beastfighter with the Cup starsign and Alert as the starting talent.
    * To win, you must slay the Ice Queen in her castle and leave the Drakalor Chain as soon as possible... the player who accomplishes this in the fewest number of turns wins!
    * In order to claim the win, you must either submit a character flag file (.flg) showing your win, or a VOD detailing the whole run... If submitting a FLG file, a small write up is appreciated but not required.

The competition will run for two weeks! We are offering the following rewards for three players who complete the challenge in the fewest number of turns:

* First place: A Dungeonmans game key (provided by the very generous Jim|Dungeonmans, thank you for that!) OR an ADOM Steam key (provided by TB himself! Thanks so much for adding this to the prize pool!), alongside the special contest winner role
    * Second place: Either the Dungeonmans game key or the ADOM Steam key, whichever is left over after first place chooses... Also,the contest winner role
    * Third place: The contest winner role

The contest winner role grants access to our #ascension channel, where you can talk exclusively with the staff and other contest winners.

If you have any questions about the contest, feel free to ask one of the @Mods. Otherwise, let the games begin... Death to the Queen!

(ADOM Forum Note: As this contest is brought to you by the /r/roguelikes (reddit subforum) Discord, please visit our server here: https://discord.gg/BfVfNcY to download the initial savegame. Also, any FLG's or VODs must be submitted to us there.)

Announcing the winner(s) of the ADOM QueenSlayer Competition! We only had a couple entries, but the resulting wins were awesome nonetheless! Here's the run / prize breakdown:

1st Place: God of ADoM , AKA Yolla. Yolla's run was a combination of extreme luck and skill. He got an early Wand of Wishing (incredibly rare), and was able to use that to generate some key things that he needed (Greater Moloch's for experience, invisibility, and wands of acid). He then snuck into the Ice Queen's Domain and slaughtered her with offensive alchemy in 1881 turns! This run's speed was incredible, and because of that I'm pleased to reward him with either an ADOM steam key or a Dungeonmans steam key of his choice!

2nd Place: Grond , AKA Yulgash. Grond's run was interesting in that it utilized a different tactic to level up to the required level (15)... He sacrificed Walden (the shopkeeper in Dwarftown) after powering him up a ton with Si Haggling, giving him a ton of experience in the process. After draining a pool he found in the Shadowy Dungeon to gain a number of necessary intrinsics, he used offensive alchemy to slay the ice queen, doing so in 9438 turns! Because of this, I am happy to reward him with the remaining game key!

Both players (although Yolla already has it) will also be awarded the Competition Winner role, granting them access to our #ascension channel. Overall, this has been a fun and interesting competition, and we will surely have more! For anybody who'd like to take a look at the FLG files, I will attach them to this message. I will be reaching out to the winners shortly to distribute their prizes. Thanks again to everyone who participated!

Yolla's Run: https://pastebin.com/LF4VyPzS
    Grond's Run: https://pastebin.com/ciGTRbtq
    Last edited by mtf; 05-13-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Announcing the ADOM QueenSlayer competition, brought to you by the /r/roguelikes Discord! This competition is a bit different than the last one, as it is a modified speed run... the goal is to kill the Ice Queen in her castle and leave the Drakalor Chain in the fewest number of turns!
    It's one try per person or unlimitted attempts?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    It's one try per person or unlimitted attempts?
    Unlimited attempts! Just submit the best one you come up with and I'll only consider that one =)

Mmkay, I've given up on even entering iqd with drakelings, kill the queen, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Mmkay, I've given up on even entering iqd with drakelings, kill the queen, no thanks.
    It's not that bad really. I've tried few things in testing and... she does not look that problemtaic target anymore...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

We had a very similar challenge here a couple of years ago (kill the Ice queen with a random drakeling and without AMW. There was no turn limit though.)

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...ree-Challenges

From what I recall, the real challenge is killing her before your speed is reduced to much. Initially it is only halved, which is fine. But once a certain number of monsters is killed, it will be further reduced to 10. Then you might be slowed down enough that the Queen is able to fully recover before you can attack again.
    While reaching the kill limit responsible for the further speed reduction can usually be avoided quite easily, it might happen that the Queen panicks and her summons block the way. Additionally, her summons will slow you with frost bolts.
    An elegant way to track down a panicking queen through summoned hordes would of course be your beastfighter's level 32 class power. But this doesn't match well with the speed run part of your challenge.
    gremlin - karmic lizard, dark orc, acid vortex, staring eye - dragon turtle, fairy dragon, ogre lord, minotaur emperor - pit viper, orc butcher - greater mimic, dark elven wizard, carrion crawler, dwarven child - imp - ochre jelly, dark elven archer, king cobra, goodwife - kobold shaman, magebane eye, floating eye, quickling king - giant centipede, hill orc sergeant, mimic hivemind, greater claw bug, brown bear, large gnoll - giant bee queen, giant ant warrior, shadow centipede, kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    We had a very similar challenge here a couple of years ago (kill the Ice queen with a random drakeling and without AMW. There was no turn limit though.)

From what I recall, the real challenge is killing her before your speed is reduced to much. Initially it is only halved, which is fine. But once a certain number of monsters is killed, it will be further reduced to 10.
    I thought once you poke her speed gets to 10 automatically. At any rate I think correct way has to be not to poke her, lol.

Hm. Do you have to personally kill her, or does it suffice to have her die, just somehow.

Specifically, can I wish for a banshee?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Specifically, can I wish for a banshee?
    The ice queen is immune to the banshee's scream.

I assume she has to be on kill list... how else flg is going to prove anything?