Thread: Alignment changes for special endings.. what a drama (SPOILERS)

Question Alignment changes for special endings.. what a drama (SPOILERS)

Ok, so let me get this straight. If I want to go for a special ending and say I start lawful, I need to make sure I don't get crowned but become chaotic first otherwise Baab Gaab the witch won't give me the first two quests - which happen to be the hardest ones IIRC (giant boar skull and scroll of danger?), as well as feeding the demented ratling (as he won't react unless the PC is chaotic.. right?). Ok, done. But THEN, much later in the game, once I reach level 45 only I am able to talk to the Assassin Prince, go to the infinite dungeon to kill Filk.. and then have to get back to lawful or neutral otherwise the mad ministrel won't give me access to the scintillating cave? That's incredibly hard. Say then I want to go for Avatar of Chaos or whatever it is called; that means that I have to become chaotic AGAIN after that, is it? Is this all correct or am I missing something? All those allignment changes seem to be unavoidable for ultra endings and absolutely a pain. Also, on top of this, when should I get crowned? and would I need to be at extreme alignment (L+, N=, C-)?

TL; DR:
    Does going for ultra-ending necessarily requires to be C to satisfy the first two Gaab Baay's quest and the Demented Ratling quest, and THEN be L or N at level 45 to get the tip from the Mad Ministrel?
    If so, when in this process is a good time to be crowned, and would that require extreme alignment?

Also, two other questions:
    A) In Adom's most recent version, does reducing attributes below zero kill the PC? If not, does it lowers the stats potentials?
    B) Could it be that I randomly found the Crumpled Scroll in early-mid part of the game, or can it be only obtained from the Emperor Moloch in the Scintillating Cave?

You only need to be chaotic for the demented ratling and to receive the first Gaab'Baay quest. You only need to be neutral or lawful for Khelavaster to summon the trident. For lawful and neutral this is fairly easy; switch to chaotic once you have enough artifacts to feed, talk to Gaab'Baay, and then you are free to get crowned. For chaotic this means you can't get crowned until after you get the trident. Fortunately attaining C- alignment is quite easy.

A) Depends. Getting hit by a strength or toughness draining melee attack while you are at 1 in the relevant attribute will kill you (or just reduce you to 1 if you have regeneration, because bugs). Getting attributes drained at 1 via the monster spell (or draining them by eating certain corpses, casting wish, etc) has a high chance to reduce the attribute potential.
    B) It can only be obtained from the emperor moloch, although you are able to scribe copies of it once you have read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    You only need to be chaotic for the demented ratling and to receive the first Gaab'Baay quest. You only need to be neutral or lawful for Khelavaster to summon the trident. For lawful and neutral this is fairly easy; switch to chaotic once you have enough artifacts to feed, talk to Gaab'Baay, and then you are free to get crowned. For chaotic this means you can't get crowned until after you get the trident. Fortunately attaining C- alignment is quite easy.
    I see.. does it need to be proper crowning (L+, N=, C-), or half-crowning is ok too to go for OCG / UE?

Proper crowning is required to enter the gate. Precrowning can be done at any point without messing up the ultra.

I see.. so precrowning should ideally always be taken, since it grants an artifact without any future limitations in terms of OCG/UE potentials, right? Another question.. I am playing a character who got crowned by Corellius and still not done any Baba Yaga or Demented Ratling quests. No possibility of OCG/UE for my character, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I see.. so precrowning should ideally always be taken, since it grants an artifact without any future limitations in terms of OCG/UE potentials, right?
    Yes; apart from probably needing to change alignment alignment after precrowning, there's no special downside to doing so when attempting a special ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Another question.. I am playing a character who got crowned by Corellius and still not done any Baba Yaga or Demented Ratling quests. No possibility of OCG/UE for my character, correct?
    Correct; changing alignment to do those quests will make you a fallen champion, which disqualifies you from any special ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Correct; changing alignment to do those quests will make you a fallen champion, which disqualifies you from any special ending.
    I do hope afallen champs will be able to get nihilist endings... assuming these happen.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)