Thread: Advice on GGV with low hps

Default Advice on GGV with low hps

In stark contrast to my recent drakeling I've got a gray elven paladin at lvl 20 with 129 hps.
    Went from starting toughness 9/10 now to 11/11, not one potential to potion.

Thinking a bit aloud here ....

Got a Greater Giant Vault in Frost giant caves lvl 5.

Now I'll try take out haggar and friends first and then maybe a smaller poke at the vault, but Fire giant kings and the titan (just one) are probably way out of my league.
    Even stone giant lords scare me not to mention frost giant jarls.

Now defences are quite nice, 57/32 at agressive using ring of invis.

I've got some memory of frost giant jarl rage being really dangerous.

Hrm no giant slaying ammo ...

Don't feel ready to tackle TOEF either, I guess I should dig dwarven graveyard and try get water orb, I'll probably get a few hps from the willpower and maybe a lvl or two.

Btw I'm astonished how crappy paladins are at learning spells, yikes.

What's your wand situation like?

At lvl 20 I'm surprised you've had trouble learning spells! Especially with the GE learning stat. Maybe it's bad rolls? You could try to bless the book first before reading, it's learning chance increase is substantial like 20% higher chance to learn.

As for To stat, my only suggestion is maybe eating wights from graveyard to increase potential then use morgia and wait, but it's pretty slow and boring method. Or if you like grinding you could scam extra healing potions from the healer assuming you have a healing spell.

Can morgia push it beyond potential when it's low like that? I know there are a bunch of undead besides just wights that raise To if you eat the corpse, vampires too

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    Can morgia push it beyond potential when it's low like that? I know there are a bunch of undead besides just wights that raise To if you eat the corpse, vampires too
    Morgia cannot push through potential, the wight corpse adds the potential or stat increase of potential is high enough, but they drop pretty rarely, which is why I suggested using morgia as well.

That's quite low Toughness. Can be deadly for melee character like paladin who gets his spell casting mid game. If I play low To paladin I sometimes spend wish to get more toughness potions. Giants can be bad and dark forge or ToEF will probably get you if you don't die to giants. I would spend wish at that point if you manage to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by gym21 View Post
    What's your wand situation like?
    Have most wands and booze is stacking up some.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    At lvl 20 I'm surprised you've had trouble learning spells! Especially with the GE learning stat. Maybe it's bad rolls? You could try to bless the book first before reading, it's learning chance increase is substantial like 20% higher chance to learn.

As for To stat, my only suggestion is maybe eating wights from graveyard to increase potential then use morgia and wait, but it's pretty slow and boring method. Or if you like grinding you could scam extra healing potions from the healer assuming you have a healing spell.
    Initial learning was not that good, I did hit 20 Le after eating oracle and getting a 6 point increase!
    One of the few spells I did manage to learn was lordly might which have been very handy book casting and carrying all junk home.
    Yes books were uncursed, couldnt really afford the water to bless at the time, at lvl 21 with learning pushed past 20 I've had better success and got for example 500+ castings of magic missile, learned light and some others.
    Still you'd think "cure light wounds" as a "holy realm spell" would be somewhat easy for a paladin, I even failed learning slow monster....

Probably want to wait some until I read up on the area spells I found.

I got +2 To from undeads and dug into coc until wall of flames so thats a 13/13, and with water orb I've got 175 hps.
    Back to dwarf town I finally found my first potential to so I can push up TO 16 and then maybe will do diplo on top for another 2 (or save that until later).
    Past 16 I think I'm out of morgia

Quote Originally Posted by Shinae View Post
    That's quite low Toughness. Can be deadly for melee character like paladin who gets his spell casting mid game. If I play low To paladin I sometimes spend wish to get more toughness potions. Giants can be bad and dark forge or ToEF will probably get you if you don't die to giants. I would spend wish at that point if you manage to find one.
    Yes, got down to 1hp saved by luck/fate smiles from one of the stone giant lords.
    Didn't dare go for the jarls yet.
    Dark forge melee felt surprisingly "safe" with 105 hps but I did have a high dv value, I've had steel golems crit for almost 150 damage with other characters ...

On a side note this is my first time playing extensively with whip, an early blessed whip of slaughtering have been very useful since paladins lack find weakness.
    (no justifier, got crowned with perions but found shirt of the saints somewhere and using that instead)

So seems that I'm finally pushing towards 200+ and from there I hope it'll be smooth sailing.
    I'll consider grinding Ancient dungeon (R4) or parts of it before saying hi to the giants again.

Giants cleared rods found and potions wished for, got 4.

GGV drops were Hammer of the Gods, Deaths blade and Vanquisher, 3x 2hander, oh well the last one is atleast good fun.

Used water on patch to change a moss/spense patch to morgia/moss and then morgia trained while doing a bit of smithing, a bit of extra defense needed for vanquisher usage.

Also got a surprise ggv on d37, will be interesting to see if that means no greater vault on d45-46 or if I got an extra one.

Still scary, being one crit or one extremely experienced vortex away from getting 1-shotted