Thread: Wand of Farslaying turned into nearslaying

Default Wand of Farslaying turned into nearslaying

My level 23 Orc Paladin was doing so good. Had everything he needed to win the game, stats in the 30s, great equipment, 3 immunities, crowned champion. Had just gotten the fire orb and headed to Ice Queen domain, then to Frost Giant Jarl cave. The greater vault was fire creatures.

I decided to stand at a corner and use a 150 mana shot of far slaying diagonally upwards. I miscalculated where it would land, it exactly hit the corner of a wall and bounced right back at me, hitting the corner I was standing on, bouncing back... repeating this dozens of times until I was very, very dead, 350 hps were not enough.

This is a painful lesson to learn. Very embarassing. If only there was a highlighted tile path for targetting spells like there is for missile weapons! I would have seen I was aimed at the corner and not the tile above I thought I was aiming for! I blame graphical mode, not my shitty visual/spatial aim!

The 'look' target can be moved diagonally to check.

Good point. I got cocky and was sure I knew what I was doing. Punished hard, but hopefully I learned my lesson, never to be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    Good point.
    Don't wands of farslaying (and playr produced bolts in general) go only in eight cardinal directions? fancy paths are exclusive for guys like ogre mages, iirc.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Don't wands of farslaying (and playr produced bolts in general) go only in eight cardinal directions? fancy paths are exclusive for guys like ogre mages, iirc.
    Yes. Of course going back and forth with this and TOME can mess with ones mind. I swear though, the way it looked with the tiled version I thought I had it lined up perfectly for one square above the corner. Could have sworn. Damn my eyes.