Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reducing the number of ADOM keybindings

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrather View Post
    Ahaha! Like you just completely screwed the idea. Mud room effect does not forces you to read, it forces you to think, ask and learn. Learn WHERE you can find information, w/o starting a new thread on this forum.
    Point is that you dislike mud rooms. Yet there are tons of traps, monsters and features in ADOM someone is mad about. Spa-rooms and your anger are not unique.
    My anger? To me, spa rooms are just +1 Ap. That's in fact part of the reason why they aren't worth keeping around - there's nothing interesting about them once you know that the wipe face command exists. The same cannot be said for most other features that would upset someone. Something that you have to think about more than once is a lot more interesting.

I think context menu is a very good addition. (the one you get through enter). I fail to see how having wipe 'f'ace just in it instead of separate key would be a bad thing (I would guess currently non command keys do not appear in context menu, but they could). That at very least would teach to open context menu which is good for a new player.

Another way could be extending use command (although I would probably opt out of this myself). Lots of stuff just give message like do something else with item, maybe the game should just do the recommended thing (quaff the pot, eat food, etc. - I know removing 'q'uaffing is sort of blasphemy).

The third would be just introducing general command for interacting with surroundings - is there really a point of lever 'h'andling, pool 'q'uaffing' and intentional trap activation being separate commands? It's not like game has pool, lever and a trap on one tile.

And no I do not have anger issues with quaffing
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

All the room and level messages should pop up in the screen center requiring clicking on tho OK button/Enter, so they cannot be missed. Then the mud message could contain some clue, such as:

This room looks like a spa with a mud bath. You are hit in the face by a glob of hot mud! Suddenly everything disappears! But there seems to be a key...

The command for wipe face goes to miscellaneous commands, but not to "very advanced, unneeded commands for old timers" - this list could be somewhat hidden and there go all things not really required, displayed by other screens or reachable by other commands - wound status, burden levels, gold count, display bill, deity name, extended use, check literacy, unlock, elapsed time, kick/melee/missile stats, etc.
    Last edited by IGB; 07-08-2017 at 02:32 AM.

I think mud rooms can be left in the game as long as the mud clears itself after X time/turns. That way, cleaning your face would still be useful (to remove the mud earlier) but the feature wouldn't be so noob-slaughtering.

Maybe the Ap bonus should require keeping the mud for the maximum time.

As for the general idea of removing commands, I'm for keeping them in a separate list for old-timers or hardcore users that newbies wouldn't need to consult.

Something that hasn't been said is that focused commands (such as :b, etc.) can be very helpful for blind players (yes, blind people can play roguelikes thanks to the ASCII interface and screen readers, see for example https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-you-cant-see/). I helped code a roguelike especially designed for the blind, and we found out in the testing that focused commands giving a particular piece of information were very useful. For example, if a blind player wants to know their burden level, it will be more convenient for them to type :b and have their screen reader read the burden message from the message buffer, than to type a generic command and waste time listening to a large amount of information that they don't want at that point.

Mud rooms aren't that much of problem, I just happen to notice that death question a lot and people fail to notice they need to use rare keybinding to get rid of mud. I suggested getting rid of them because the topic is about reducing keybindings. I don't mind mudrooms killing people. It's just that clean face and ears command is rather useless and just adds complexity of adom keybindings. People die to mud because they don't know they need to use some rare 'clean face keybinding' you never need anywhere else. So my vote how to reduce keybindings is to get rid of whole combination of mudroom and clean face.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinae View Post
    People die to mud because they don't know they need to use some rare 'clean face keybinding' you never need anywhere else. So my vote how to reduce keybindings is to get rid of whole combination of mudroom and clean face.
    Nah, too classic to remove. Players can figure it out just like all of the rest of the opaque challenges in the game.

I think the idea of mud on the face clearing itself is a good one.
    There could be several actions other than passage of time that could prompt it - putting on/removing headgear, being in the blast range of an exploding trap, getting a firebolt in your face etc.
    That way even newbies would have a chance to randomly get rid of it, just as they randomly got the mud on their face in the first place.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I think the idea of mud on the face clearing itself is a good one.
    There could be several actions other than passage of time that could prompt it - putting on/removing headgear, being in the blast range of an exploding trap, getting a firebolt in your face etc.
    That way even newbies would have a chance to randomly get rid of it, just as they randomly got the mud on their face in the first place.
    That sounds awesome yes! please this.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family