Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reducing the number of ADOM keybindings

Default Reducing the number of ADOM keybindings

For the next release I'm trying to do away with as many redundant commands as possible in order to short the number of commands ADOM actually provides (and uses to frighten new players). ':w' (monster wound status) just went away because the revised 'l'ook command does all that and more. Similarly 'Ctrl-l' is gone with the next version of ADOM.

Now there are quite a number of commands that provide some informational detail ($ for your current number of gold pieces, :b for burden levels, something I can't even remember for the name of your deity, etc.) which e.g. all can be retrieved via '@' for the general character information screen.

Would anybody cry if that stuff goes away? Personally I believe that it would be good to reduce the clutter.

Other opinions? (and if someone asks: "What's the harm of having those?" my response would be "It frightens away new players because currently the command list contains 131 commands).
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Personally I use some of the miscellaneous key bindings, however I wouldn't be discouraged by their removal. But perhaps instead of removing them, there could be 2 lists, one for new players the 'essentials' list and another for misc. commands.

The key is that removing something should only be done if it's possible to do the exact same thing, which it often isn't.

Take for example burden status: that command also shows your burden levels, so you know exactly how much you need to drop to drop a burden level.

In fact, most commands have this problem. I would object to the removal of :w because :w always leaves you in the game context once it has executed. For 'look', you subsequently have to exit the command to continue. (The same goes for :b and many other commands.)

I like the idea of a normal and advanced keyboard commands, tbh. You should be able to do everything you need to do with the normal commands, similar to what you'd do if you removed them. Then the advanced commands would make it easier for advanced players.

For what it's worth, I am totally on board with the idea that all of the keyboard commands are confusing for new people, since I certainly felt that way some number of years ago. But I've found that many of the keyboard commands are extremely well executed and differentiated.
    Last edited by SirTheta; 07-01-2017 at 05:39 AM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I learned how to type by playing Nethack and ADOM. Been playing so long now that I don't think about the keys in the slightest — I just know that my fingers are making sounds on the keyboard somewhere below me and the character is doing what I want.

I personally love it the way it is and wouldn't want to see it changed, but I can see that the hundred or so commands might be a bit inimidating to the uninitiated.

Why not just do both? Make the change to the simplified version for the noobs, and then have an option in the config file available (default false) to restore the original keybindings for us crotchety old-timers. :⁠)
    Last edited by Wigdaddy; 06-26-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    "Whoever walks with truth generates life."
    -Sumerian Proverb

As a newer player, I honestly don't find myself using a lot of the key bindings. I would definitely be on board for them being integrated into the general character screen instead.

I use $, :b, W, and M regularly, and would be very irritated to see them go. They don't require covering up the main screen with a menu, and I know exactly where to look for the output - the message buffer, not some spot on a page with a ton of other information.

What helped me a lot was extensive use of " ? - K -Y ".

That list of all commands have always been hidden a bit too deep.

While it is a long list, the help is there to display them and remind you if you havent memorized them.

I might recommend leaving the commands in the game and removing them from the general list of keybindings, then creating a separate "advanced shortcuts/features" tab. Of course, that's only if those key commands won't become obtrusive in future versions.

Personally, I'd like the ability to set up advanced actions or perform queries via a graphical menu or text file, then bind them to any non-reserved key combination. Would speed my adventures up quite a bit to be able to perform complex operations using hotkeys. Then again, I'd also want conditional operators (Things like "IF $MyHP$ =< 20% $MyMaxHP$ {cast heal}") so maybe I'm a bad example for a typical player.

Quote Originally Posted by r.ogrenix View Post
    I might recommend leaving the commands in the game and removing them from the general list of keybindings, then creating a separate "advanced shortcuts/features" tab. Of course, that's only if those key commands won't become obtrusive in future versions.

Personally, I'd like the ability to set up advanced actions or perform queries via a graphical menu or text file, then bind them to any non-reserved key combination. Would speed my adventures up quite a bit to be able to perform complex operations using hotkeys. Then again, I'd also want conditional operators (Things like "IF $MyHP$ =< 20% $MyMaxHP$ {cast heal}") so maybe I'm a bad example for a typical player.
    My guess is you wouldn't want such programmable operations because they will tend to mess up your game. Just imagine auto-casting a healing spell and using up your power points when you instead would have preferred to cast teleport to get away (or something like that). Automatic rules IMHO are a path towards doom in ADOM (most of the time) ;-)
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    I like the idea of a normal and advanced keyboard commands, tbh. You should be able to do everything you need to do with the normal commands, similar to what you'd do if you removed them. Then the advanced commands would make it easier for advanced players.
    This sounds like a great idea. For newer players, the most important need is to have a help feature that gives you a shortlist for the essential keybindings, without all the extras.

For veterans it would be great if there was some option that allows you to use advanced shortcuts. Many of them are quite helpful. For example, when playing a mindcrafter it is a great help to have a shortcut to invoke mindcraft.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.