Thread: White necromancy

Default White necromancy

People say Mist Elves are hard to deal with. They're especially vulnerable to traps. Well, it is possible to have an imp as a trap fodder.

Technically, although it's a hominculous not an imp however that would only work for floor traps and it'll still cost you mana permanently (1 pt will regen naturally out of 2 pts lost) and door traps can still murder you, and arrows/ thrown stuff can still wipe you out from afar. Plus dark sages and ogre magi can insta kill you potentially.
    All that said, I love mist elves but their weakness in the early game is hard to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Technically, although it's a hominculous not an imp however that would only work for floor traps and it'll still cost you mana permanently (1 pt will regen naturally out of 2 pts lost) and door traps can still murder you, and arrows/ thrown stuff can still wipe you out from afar. Plus dark sages and ogre magi can insta kill you potentially.
    All that said, I love mist elves but their weakness in the early game is hard to overcome.
    From my experience ME regains both Mana points.

Door traps - huge rock or anvil is not easy to get, but keys from outlaw village are easy to buy. After that trap detection or using pickaxes is a solution now, when there are easy ways to obtain pickaxe.

Enemy magic can be countered by Alertness. Barbarians, Beastfighters, Rangers, Monks and Fighters learn Alertness easily.

What is a real problem which I don't know how to counter is dodging missles. Only high DV and PV? Going to melee range ASAP? Invisibility?

Keys are indeed a good solution, but by the time you can afford them, you could probably survive the trap. Same with pickaxe, usually you are lvl 13 before you get your first one- again you could survive the trap.
    Huge rocks can't work for a ME either unless you find a girdle of carrying early.

Using necromancy trains mana for 1.25 pts, so it is generally unlikely to regain that second point unless you use magic a lot.
    Enemy magic can indeed be dodged most of the time with alertness, but it's not 100% I once had a lvl 18 bard with 100 alertness got one shotted from a dark sage (named guy) that I couldn't even see yet. The low hp thing is a very big disadvantage.

I've been trying Mist Elven Merchants lately (and dying). I think I will have to try the key route, since doors get me quite often.

Challenging!

Lvl 18? What was your HP and Toughness? My ME barbarian has 130 HP now on level 17.

Quote Originally Posted by koctyxa View Post
    Lvl 18? What was your HP and Toughness? My ME barbarian has 130 HP now on level 17.
    Lol, this guy wasn't finding any potential Toughness or wight corpsies so To was 12 maybe. Hp was 90ish. This was definitely an extreme example though because how often do you find a named dark sage to snipe you from across the dungeon before you can see him? My main point is though that for all the advantages ME's offer you can't really make up for the reduced hp. Even with the fire tower an energy bolt from the wyrm can wipe you out fast even with high To and decent level.