Thread: Character planning

Default Character planning

I have a question for better/more experienced ADOM players. I'm a planner - I'll make a character and in advance plan something like "start neutral, get a blink dog corpse, go lawful, get rolf's, clear a few random dungeons, get crowned, plant some spenseweed herb farms, etc, etc..." My question is this: Is it better to make a plan and rigidly stick to it, or let the game's RNG dictate how my character is played? All of the characters I've been close to winning with have been planned out and stuck to regardless of RNG, but a ton have died to me hardheadedly trying to stick to my planning. In your experience, is planning out characters like this detrimental to successful runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Scatkat View Post
    I have a question for better/more experienced ADOM players. I'm a planner - I'll make a character and in advance plan something like "start neutral, get a blink dog corpse, go lawful, get rolf's, clear a few random dungeons, get crowned, plant some spenseweed herb farms, etc, etc..." My question is this: Is it better to make a plan and rigidly stick to it, or let the game's RNG dictate how my character is played? All of the characters I've been close to winning with have been planned out and stuck to regardless of RNG, but a ton have died to me hardheadedly trying to stick to my planning. In your experience, is planning out characters like this detrimental to successful runs?
    Depends on a plan... Seriously sometimes RNG bloody refuses to cooperate. Nothing you wrote in a plan example could/ought lead to a ton of deaths, so it is okay-ish.

Not okay is something like i planned to use spear and i will do it despite getting both skullcrusher and executor or go into UD disregarding your starting race/class.

On your plan... broadly being lawful is sort of useless and rolf's is complete crap. If you can clear up through crowning, random dungeons, etc is a bit late for spense farms (regen, prayers, water orb and heal pots should be more than enough mid to late game).
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)