Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Player Question

Default New Player Question

Honestly, how many of you have used guides to help find out stuff and how many of you found it out by yourself?

I want to look at some guides but I also want to find stuff out for myself... It's a bitter fight I have with myself over this.

I did a bunch without guides, but got spoiled in the end.
    If you ask for advice here, make sure to state prominently you don't want to get too much info.

Out of curiosity, how far have you gotten?

Quote Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
    Honestly, how many of you have used guides to help find out stuff and how many of you found it out by yourself?

I want to look at some guides but I also want to find stuff out for myself... It's a bitter fight I have with myself over this.

Well I used to play back in 2013 before all the fancy graphics came about. I only managed to get to the Dwarven town back then. I can't remember much from then either so I've returned with very little knowledge. I remember certain things like movement, how to survive to a certain extent and the first couple of missions (village elder/druid) and bandit town, but thats it. I have just completed the druid quest on a Mist Elf Priest. Love the class. Currently level 9 and now just wondering about zapping everything i see with spells. Just want some kind of direction (I cant even remember where the dwarven town is)

Well I used to play back in 2013 before all the fancy graphics came about. I only managed to get to the Dwarven town back then. I can't remember much from then either so I've returned with very little knowledge. I remember certain things like movement, how to survive to a certain extent and the first couple of missions (village elder/druid) and bandit town, but thats it. I have just completed the druid quest on a Mist Elf Priest. Love the class. Currently level 9 and now just wondering about zapping everything i see with spells. Just want some kind of direction (I cant even remember where the dwarven town is)
    Dwarftown is in a cavern west of the river, near the mountains. Then go down a bunch of levels, past the large room, and that's where it si. Have a good quest!

Another question for you guys. Would you recommend playing one race/class combination to get used to the game or just constant let Fate decide who I be. I love the Mist Elf Priest combination and have gotten the further I have ever got with it. Only reason I died with it is because i cast the wrong spell on myself and melted myself (Do'H, safe to say I gutted)

I read the whole guidebook before creating my first character. Many players have read such spoilers. If you don't want them - much respect, good luck figuring things out by yourself. There are definitely others who managed that, but finishing the game unspoiled really is a big achievement to be proud of.

Watch out browsing the forum then; many topics are chock full of spoilers.

As for character creation, just do what you enjoy most. The fate feature is there if you want it, but there is nothing wrong with playing the same R/C every time as long as you're having a good time.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Guides, wikis and youtube galore.
    I did play way back in the mid 90's just using readme and possibly a guidebook that had a lot less information (as I recall).
    (It didn't go very well, playing mostly starving trolls or orcs both killing everything in melee.)

If your good at puzzle solving and breaking games on your own then you can probably do better than me.

There were a couple of important concepts that I never grasped on my own, mainly: altars, a monster that I wont mention here (unless you ask), some quests and the energy system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Dwarftown is in a cavern west of the river, near the mountains. Then go down a bunch of levels, past the large room, and that's where it si. Have a good quest!
    Brilliant :-)

I got as far as the large room without any spoilers (I distinctly remember dying to a swarm of ochre jellies). Then I started reading the old newsgroup posts, and i've been spoiled ever since.
    Last edited by dai; 08-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    "playing mostly starving trolls"
    Haha that sounds so familiar

Back in the days i managed to do gate closing ending without help except minor save scumming, about 3900 saves
    i even did the fire temple without proper fire protection just saving and loading to get stairs close enough..

Obviously knowing what stuff does makes it easier but does it make it too easy? or will it still take me a LOOONG time to get a win?