Thread: New player and I'm pissed!

Default New player and I'm pissed!

...as in angry, not drunk.

Ok, I'll bet you sadists will enjoy this. Before I tell you my story though let me first ask that you please not give me any spoilers here. I have only read the manual and a few Reddit posts so I'm relatively hint free at the moment. I will also try to avoid leaving spoilers for other newbies who might read this but there's one at the bottom so be warned.

I have been playing this "wonderful" game for a few weeks now. I have died countless times for countless reasons. I've been playing mostly human fighters just to keep it simple but I've dabbled a few times with other combos. If you want to know how far I've gotten, well let's say I know VD very well, I can get the healing skill, and usually kill a certain bandit. I know where to buy food and sell junk. I have seen all of the world that I can see without "special gear". My highest level so far was 11 I think. So basically, no where.

So now I'm running my best character ever. For the first time I have a weapon that does more than 1dNothing damage (3d6+6!), I've got rings, amulets, a throwing dagger of slaying, etc. I'm a happy boy! The turning point was stumbling across the easy way to tell if gear is cursed or not. Now I can slog back to an old dungeon, test items for curse and then try them on once they are cleared. I'm sure you see where this is going.

Auto-lock!? Are you kidding me? It said uncursed dammit! That's not fair! It's clothes! I HAVE NO ARMOR! I'm so mad right now I could spit.

If this character dies before I get this stuff off of him I may be angry enough to fly to Germany, find the developer and point my finger at him aggressively. Twice.

[end rant..yes, I feel better now. No, I don't really have a question. I'll figure it out. I hope. Thank you for listening]

Sounds like you're having fun.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Urist McFinn View Post
    ...as in angry, not drunk.

Ok, I'll bet you sadists will enjoy this. Before I tell you my story though let me first ask that you please not give me any spoilers here. I have only read the manual and a few Reddit posts so I'm relatively hint free at the moment. I will also try to avoid leaving spoilers for other newbies who might read this but there's one at the bottom so be warned.

I have been playing this "wonderful" game for a few weeks now. I have died countless times for countless reasons. I've been playing mostly human fighters just to keep it simple but I've dabbled a few times with other combos. If you want to know how far I've gotten, well let's say I know VD very well, I can get the healing skill, and usually kill a certain bandit. I know where to buy food and sell junk. I have seen all of the world that I can see without "special gear". My highest level so far was 11 I think. So basically, no where.

So now I'm running my best character ever. For the first time I have a weapon that does more than 1dNothing damage (3d6+6!), I've got rings, amulets, a throwing dagger of slaying, etc. I'm a happy boy! The turning point was stumbling across the easy way to tell if gear is cursed or not. Now I can slog back to an old dungeon, test items for curse and then try them on once they are cleared. I'm sure you see where this is going.

Auto-lock!? Are you kidding me? It said uncursed dammit! That's not fair! It's clothes! I HAVE NO ARMOR! I'm so mad right now I could spit.

If this character dies before I get this stuff off of him I may be angry enough to fly to Germany, find the developer and point my finger at him aggressively. Twice.

[end rant..yes, I feel better now. No, I don't really have a question. I'll figure it out. I hope. Thank you for listening]
    Ooh the beauty of auto-lock armour.
    Yes, there's a lot of punishing stuff in the early game.

Adds to the thrill of finding equipment in the early game. You could try everything on to see if it's better that what you have... but there's always a small possibility it will screw you over.

Still, your understanding of altar helps a lot.

The adventure continues....

Soooo, it appears that I accidentally save-scummed myself. I re-imaged my machine today but I backed up the copy of the ADOM folder that the game creates in My Documents. When I reinstalled everything today and put that folder back, my game was still there but it was quite a bit back in time. I think what I did (which was stupid) but I was backing stuff up while I was playing the game. I think this must be where I started yesterday. So I don't have the cursed clothing problem anymore, but I also don't have most of the very cool items that I had. I'm missing a ring, the throwing dagger of slaying a large shield with no DV penalty and a bunch of potions and scrolls. Frankly, I'd rather have the stuff and the cursed armor problem. I'm going to miss that dagger; that thing was one-shotting everything.

anyway, thank you all for the kind words. I'll be more careful this time around.

Edit: I made a point to speak to everyone in Terinyo and I found a 3rd quest. We're off to find the doggy!
    Last edited by Urist McFinn; 08-06-2017 at 08:09 AM.

I understand your frustration and have done a little about it: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4878
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin View Post
    I understand your frustration and have done a little about it: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4878
    I hope I conveyed the humor in my post. I thought people might enjoy remembering their early pitfalls. I did read the link and thought your solution seemed reasonable. Either way it seems ok to me. You just learn not to put on armor until you can identify it.

If you want to know what I have found to be much more frustrating than auto-lock; it's that Shift-S and Shift-Q sit very close to each other, have almost identical prompts, and vastly different impacts on your game. My poor fighter died at level 11 to a Shift-Q when I meant to hit Shift-S. I since remapped Quit to F9 and made Shift-Q and additional keystroke for save. Maybe this warrants it's own thread? I'm sort of hi-jacking my own thread here.