Thread: DOS versions: how to get them + slowdowns

Default DOS versions: how to get them + slowdowns

Hi guys, an old-timer (Gamma-versions player) here trying to check how ADOM fares after a few years :-) I wanted to play the purely-ASCII DOS version under DosBox, but I noticed that the latest version offered at the secure backer portal is 69. Is this how it is supposed to be? Isn't the official version 72 now?

Also, the 69 version is ridiculously slow on DosBox on a modern machine. Is this a known thing? Missiles fly as if a Slowed Invisible Moloch was carrying them. Could anyone recommend some trick?

Cheers!

Can't help you with your other questions, but for better speed I like setting base_delay_factor to 1 in the configuration file.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Can't help you with your other questions, but for better speed I like setting base_delay_factor to 1 in the configuration file.
    Thank you. This helped with the arrows. Unfortunately walking is still agonizingly slow. Still, a nice correction, thanks!

R69 seems to be the latest non-Steam release. This aggravates me because I've wanted to try out the new features and design changes for a long time, but haven't really felt like it because R69's ASCII mode has some annoying bugs. BTW, people who play the DOS version in DOSBox but miss the look of a CRT monitor, might want to look at this: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...4052#post64052
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Thank you very much!