Thread: First Ultra attempt with any hope of success, looking for tips

Default First Ultra attempt with any hope of success, looking for tips

Killed a few characters early-game after I decided that I was gonna start killing Beggars first and try for Ultra. First one to live to Dwarftown naturally generated an AoLS!

So with the hard part out of the way, I'm curious what the timeline is like for Ultra seekers. I spent a lot of time in the wilderness at the start to find the moldy dungeon and get the tome of donors, but now I'm thinking that spending so much time in the wilderness for one artifact was not a great trade. I've done Pyramid & Dwarven graveyard and I'm at 36 days.

Do people usually delve deeper into CoC before bothering to finish up Gaab'Bay? I would like to try and find some worn boots before I go farming for a boar skull, and preferably knock out as many of her quests as possible in one trip. What is a "normal" amount of game-days for an Ultra attempt to take?

When can an aspiring Avatar of Balance/Order safely crown N/L? After completing Gaab'Bay's second quest? I've always relied pretty heavily on crowning to determine my approach to ToEF, so I want to get it done as soon as possible.

Also, uhh, slightly unrelated question that arose in the middle of typing this. If I attack residents of Dwarftown, will the Demented Ratling become hostile? I had been using Thrundarr's room as a drop spot for several artifacts and the 6 SoCR that Khele gave me for safe keeping. I have no idea how a dwarf got in there and picked them up, but they're gone now. So I have to get them back. Good grief. Got them back. Sorry Thrundarr. Should have stayed on your lever. I didn't want this for you.
    Last edited by Snock; 09-24-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snock View Post
    So with the hard part out of the way, I'm curious what the timeline is like for Ultra seekers. I spent a lot of time in the wilderness at the start to find the moldy dungeon and get the tome of donors, but now I'm thinking that spending so much time in the wilderness for one artifact was not a great trade. I've done Pyramid & Dwarven graveyard and I'm at 36 days.
    Don't worry too much about wilderness travel time; background corruption and the 90 day "limit" are not very problematic. Tome of donors would be worth it even if you spent all of those 36 days looking for it.

When can an aspiring Avatar of Balance/Order safely crown N/L? After completing Gaab'Bay's second quest? I've always relied pretty heavily on crowning to determine my approach to ToEF, so I want to get it done as soon as possible.
    You can change alignment as soon as you receive the boar skull quest, so the wilderness farming (and other items) can be deferred until convenient.

For stashing loot, I often put it on the stair going in / out of dwarftown, until I get a better place.
    Just make sure to move it off the level I'm on, to avoid theft. When I leave d-town, I put down the loot on the stair out of dtown, and leave.
    When I come back, I pick it all up, move it to the normal cavern level, then continue in D-town.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually just found 7LB in the DDL,was gonna drop in to pick up the wand to go get Phial of Caladriel.

On the way I figured I'd stop in Darkforge and get the Crown of Science so I could doom myself for boar hunting, then feed to ratling... But I've ws'd about twenty times and kicked about twenty more and the hidden door is just *not* opening. Was something changed?

On the way I figured I'd stop in Darkforge and get the Crown of Science so I could doom myself for boar hunting, then feed to ratling... But I've ws'd about twenty times and kicked about twenty more and the hidden door is just *not* opening. Was something changed?
    Nope, you're probably just searching the wrong place (secret door is 9 west of the downstairs).

I always remembered it as the 3rd golem spot from the left, but that's the spot I was searching alright. I've never had it take so long to find before...

I like the ogre cave under dwarf town as an item stash area

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    For stashing loot, I often put it on the stair going in / out of dwarftown, until I get a better place.
    Just make sure to move it off the level I'm on, to avoid theft. When I leave d-town, I put down the loot on the stair out of dtown, and leave.
    When I come back, I pick it all up, move it to the normal cavern level, then continue in D-town.
    It's easier to go in the corridor just above Waldenbrook's shop, drop your stuff there and seal it with a wand of door creation. If you're paranoid you can lock the door too, but I never bother and nothing ever gets stolen.

\ If I attack residents of Dwarftown, will the Demented Ratling become hostile?
    generally no but you need to be careful. You also need to make sure he is decently leveled in case he dies in the chaos.

I wouldn't worry about the time limit.

If you are playing a UNE / ULE you will be using the unicorn quest to heal corruption right before the final dive, so play accordingly (don't use your scrolls unless you absolutely have to) so the time limit isn't that big a deal. You can crown as soon as the gaab'bay quests start + the demented ratling is all good.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

If you are playing a UNE / ULE you will be using the unicorn quest to heal corruption right before the final dive, so play accordingly
    Not necessarily.
    Unless it was changed for UNE you need to be extremely corrupted, so unless already too close to death from corruption, you can side with black unicorn. Just wear amulet of balance (and don't sit at N-/NC) if you're already crowned to avoid becoming a fallen champion.
    For ULE killing is an option too, but bringing alignment back to L+ can be very painful, so probably not worth.