Thread: Quick question for seasoned Precrowners

Default Quick question for seasoned Precrowners

I almost never attempt to pre crown, however on this Ultra attempt The Moldy dungeon was generated in an inaccessible location, and I don't have the resources to raid the gremlin cave for a climbing set. I figured I would pop in to the putrid dungeon to check for altars, and sure enough I found one.

This could potentially be much better than getting the Tome of donors, since I should be able to pre Crown twice before needing to do the pyramid. However, how do you reliably move your alignment from extreme (N= in my case) before praying? And even then, can you be sure that you won't be crowned instead? I seem to recall praying at absolutely close while N- on another character, and receiving a crowning- however that character was not eligible for a pre due to artifacts generation.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Snock; 09-26-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snock View Post
    I almost never attempt to pre crown, however on this Ultra attempt The Moldy dungeon was generated in an inaccessible location, and I don't have the resources to raid the gremlin cave for a climbing set. I figured I would pop in to the putrid dungeon to check for altars, and sure enough I found one.

This could potentially be much better than getting the Tome of donors, since I should be able to pre Crown twice before needing to do the pyramid. However, how do you reliably move your alignment from extreme (N= in my case) before praying? And even then, can you be sure that you won't be crowned instead? I seem to recall praying at absolutely close while N- on another character, and receiving a crowning- however that character was not eligible for a pre due to artifacts generation.

Thanks!!
    Yes, N precrowning does involve a risk of fail/crown, potentially if you have some way to go nc or nl that would help, problem is that the action could take time and in that time you loose piety.
    If there are non aggro mobs, tag them with pick pocket to lower align or whip self inbetween to stay towards nl.

There's more than enough artifacts you can do without, one precrown can be useful to also help in early game, two are definitely not worth it ultra or normal.

I'd say for an ultra tome is more useful than precrowning because of the one result that is better than a lot of artifacts and I think (not sure) you get it in time with enough reads: "PC gains multiple intrinsics: fire, cold, acid, paralysis, death ray, confusion resistances. "

how do you reliably move your alignment from extreme (N= in my case) before praying?
    Change your alignment to C right now, that is an easy and reliable method. You will need to become C in any case.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

And even then, can you be sure that you won't be crowned instead? I seem to recall
    Ctrl+r, if i remember right.

Although I do not think random artifact is better than tome of donors.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

On a similar note, any vague idea how many cooked corpses a hurthling needs for a crown/precrown?

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    On a similar note, any vague idea how many cooked corpses a hurthling needs for a crown/precrown?
    Hurthlings can benefit from cooked corpses (presumed ~1.75x modifier. although corpses are in a way food item, way have fixed sacrifice value (which does not depend on satiation) of around 370 gold pieces. Cooked corpse (as all other food) has 2x value and is further modified by hobbit's racial preference. In the end hurthling gains around 1400 gold worth of piety from uncursed cooked corpse, which is more than living sacrifice. (In theory 60 blessed and cooked corpses should be enough for crowning)
    I can't recall why this is on wikia under altars and not on piety, but that used to be mine estimate.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    I can't recall why this is on wikia under altars and not on piety, but that used to be mine estimate.
    Yeah I had a couple, cooked everything while doing first dwarf quest, got somewhere above half way.
    Town was on d9 so somewhat close to bigroom, grabbed another bunch and sacced roughly 25k gold.

Corpses were in all kinds of status.

Good to know and as a farmer not that much work, surprisingly Soaker did get some use on a jelly vault in d12.