Thread: Hairy trip through early game

Default Hairy trip through early game

If I recorded/streamed this would have been awesome but writing will have to do.

With all the assassins I've played I haven't used that much dagger so inspired by the other thread I rolled one up.

Sweet, high elf with pretty ok stats and sword star sign.
    smc no issues, ud 1-2 np I cleaned out a lesser undead vault and feel great, go helm of mental stability.

Somewhere on 3-4 I get a mixed tension room that I open by chance, oh my.
    Doppleganger lord confuse me and quickling behind begin treating me like a punching bag.
    I get a small break maybe thanks to helmet.

Since I had 2 initial talents I already have long stride and run from dopple ganger lord and quickling!

Test a 4s wand and wand of wonder shoots a frost bolt, but they dont die.
    I realise I carry to much crap, drop my heavy stuff and run, barely making it to stairs before my enemies, out of prayers low on hps.

Into the frying pan, elven warrior downstairs, get around him and get boxed in by a berserker from the right.

Ok I'm dead (I think), lets drink all potions and test all wands.
    Wasting a few stat potions and wait a min, wand of trap creation.
    Berserker gets blinded and I run away with single digit hps.

Potion of exchange messed up my strength and perception but I gained toughness and willpower, a fair trade.

Run past another undead vault on my way out, on ud8 I almost immediately step on a teleport trap and end up at the upstairs.
    Safe in hmw with 10 hps ... yeah right, before reaching the shop a stone comes flying, thankfully I'm in coward mode and despite the now less than impressive perception I quickly find the 2 secrets (while rocks fly over my head) and escape. (don't know if it was stone giant or stone giant lord but either would have killed me)

I even had to run from a barbarian pack in the wilderness on my way back to Terinyo.

I've never had that many close calls in the early game AND survived.
    (I guess I could have waited in wilderness between ud and hmw to heal up but ....)

The luck then really kicked in when I first got blink dog in vd5 so I could grind telecontrol after healing quest
    and got 2!!! really good shops in pc , (dwarf) potion shop in pc1 and (gnome) scroll shop in pc2 ... and an L altar on pc2.

I would not be surprised if pc 6 hands me a mixed vault.
    Last edited by blunk; 09-28-2017 at 06:52 PM.

That's awesome!

I really like how you used every last resource at your disposal to survive. A lot of times in the early game, I end up dying in my head (because I'm stuck in a seemingly non-survivable situation) before I die in the game, and then realize in my head I could have lived if I used more of the options available to me. It sounds like this character is just one tough son of a bitch who doesn't know when to quit, and that will make this game a lot more special if you end up winning.

With an L altar on PC2 you can use the ant farm to get a precrown (or close)

Quote Originally Posted by gym21 View Post
    With an L altar on PC2 you can use the ant farm to get a precrown (or close)
    I did have an ant farm on pc1 so I used the ant farm on pc2 as sacc fodder but that and a bit of grinding only got me half way.
    But I will probably try and grind one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    That's awesome!

I really like how you used every last resource at your disposal to survive. A lot of times in the early game, I end up dying in my head (because I'm stuck in a seemingly non-survivable situation) before I die in the game, and then realize in my head I could have lived if I used more of the options available to me. It sounds like this character is just one tough son of a bitch who doesn't know when to quit, and that will make this game a lot more special if you end up winning.
    Well thats how my games also usually goes if I don't shove my head into monsters jaw I end up using wand of ball lightning as one of last wands or drinking potion of poison/disease or similar.

Hammer of the gods from precrown, well not the best spent time and not the best weapon but the damage is bonkers early game and I had a bit of hammer practice so went for it.
    Oh and stable moss/morgia/stoma on pc3 and girdle of carry on pc4, wow this game.

PC 6 was easily cleaned out.
    Revenge on the nasty mixed room and undead vault cleaned out.
    Bought some stuff and grind some moss/morgia got tele wand.
    Found a cloak of invis to really test out the backstab abilities, probably want to max out stealth.

Code:
    Eldwen        St:15  Le:19  Wi:23  Dx:23  To:24  Ch: 9  Ap:18  Ma:19  Pe:12 L
    DV/PV: 34/13   H: 140(140)    P: 64(64)      Exp: 13/79645     CCL    Sp: 106
    Invisible Burdened
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                      Inventory
    Total weight: 3266 stones                Carrying capacity: 3960 stones

Head          : uncursed helm of mental stability [+0, +1] {Le+4}    [100s]
    Neck          : uncursed necklace of rapid healing                     [2s]
    Body          : uncursed elven chain mail [+0, +5]                    [10s]
    Girdle        : blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0]                   [15s]
    Cloak         : uncursed cloak of invisibility (-1, +0) [+1, +0]      [30s]
    Right Hand    : blessed orcish knife (+0, 1d3+2)                      [10s]
    Left Hand     : uncursed large mithril shield (-1) [+7, +2]           [96s]
    Right Ring    : uncursed ring of damage                                [1s]
    Left Ring     : uncursed ring of damage                                [1s]
    Bracers       : -
    Gauntlets     : uncursed white dragon-hide gauntlets (-2, +0) [+0, +2][10s]
    Boots         : uncursed boots of speed [+2, +0] (+8 spd)             [20s]
    Missile Weapon: blessed short bow of accuracy (+8, +0)                [20s]
    Missiles      : bundle of 26 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6)                [52s]

Stuff

uncursed hammer of the gods (+1, 7d6+8) [-6, +0]                  [400s]
       blessed mithril rapier (+0, 1d6+7) [+1, +1]                        [24s]
    Theres of course drawbacks, cloak drains a huge amount of satiation, which isnt as much problem for food preservation characters or later in the game (more food, cooked lizards and such).
    And atm using a +1+0 cloak instead of the +0+3 cloak of protection.

Considering very agressive, I should be doing (d3+11)x7 with backstab atm = 84, 91 or 98 damage.
    Hammer of the gods would deal (7d6+20)x2 with backstab for a total of = 54-124 with a rough average of 89.
    Mithril rapier would deal (d6+16)x2 with backstab for a total of = 34-44 with a rough average of 39.
    Big punch would at this moment deal (8d5+12)x2 with backstab for a total of = 37-104 with a rough average of 72.

All numbers supposedly double from crit and times 1.5 vs undead from bless.

This character have a bit low strength (15/15), a strong character would benefit a lot more, despite this, a really crappy dagger gives a HUGE backstab damage output.
    I grind this a bit more with smithing and with some luck a phase dagger or dagger of death.

Don't forget to bless the ring(s) of damage, as you see fit. Makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Don't forget to bless the ring(s) of damage, as you see fit. Makes a difference.
    Haha I managed to kill my self on the dwarven smith, he's almost dead just one more hit .....