Thread: Death Ray reduced me to 1hp instead of killing me?

Default Death Ray reduced me to 1hp instead of killing me?

So I foolishly ran into the Mana Temple without -DR, and I got death rayed. The message buffer said something like:

>You feel a bolt of energy slicing through you. You are instantly killed.

And then I was at 1hp. I prayed and went to full. Then I equipped my amulet of death ray resistance...

What could this have been? I also had a particularly frightening encounter on UC6 with a doppelganger king where I was reduced to 1hp... twice. I was wearing AoLS at the time, but it didn't trigger.

Anyone know if there's something wonky going on with my game, or what?

You were Lucky

Surviving the death ray was a bug; regeneration can trigger after your hp gets set to 0, saving you from instant death effects such as death ray and petrification.

Characters with good luck are sometimes set to 1 hp when they would otherwise be killed by a critical hit; this mechanic is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Surviving the death ray was a bug; regeneration can trigger after your hp gets set to 0, saving you from instant death effects such as death ray and petrification.
    That was my worst fear

I would never feel satisfied with the victory if the character did indeed go on to complete the ultra... So I put him to sleep. Kept fighting until the end. Bested the ancient karmic wyrm in melee when I was really just trying to suicide. Goodnight sweet prince.

It seems like just a rare coincidence of timing in-game hopefully not treated as a bug. I see it as Adom's version of a medical 'near death' experience. Still just barely enough life force for the heart-stopped patient to revive.

Quote Originally Posted by mitres View Post
    It seems like just a rare coincidence of timing in-game hopefully not treated as a bug. I see it as Adom's version of a medical 'near death' experience. Still just barely enough life force for the heart-stopped patient to revive.
    It's not rare, though. Having a source of regeneration means you simply cannot be killed by unresisted death rays, petrification, self-sacrifice, kicking stairs until the dungeon collapses, banshee wail, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    It's not rare, though. Having a source of regeneration means you simply cannot be killed by unresisted death rays, petrification, self-sacrifice, kicking stairs until the dungeon collapses, banshee wail, etc.
    Oh... I thought natural regen was just hitting.

Rest easy champ, respect. Your honor will not be stained today.