Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolf quest semi-help needed (possible spoiler inside)

Default Rolf quest semi-help needed (possible spoiler inside)

So, got meself orc barbarian as I tend to solve everything by force recently, got heir, so force it is... everything goes too well to be true... even got wand of wishing with 3 charges!!

But...

Talked to that drunk dwarf at Lawenilothehl, got his riddle right and before going to the place he mentioned, decide to go L quick, so killed Hotzenplotz for L boost and amulet... the dwarf got hostile... so ran away, went to the place he wants me to go, got the item.

The question is: am I out of luck for the quest with him being hostile? Now on my way back... have two wishes left so might try either calm monster spell... MUCH later on when I can learn the spell... or wish for him anew somewhere...

Just wanted to ask if he is still necessary for the quest...
    munch munch munch

Who's that dwarf in Lawenilothehl? I can't remember any dwarf there.

You are fine as long as you answer the riddle before making him angry. Just make sure you don't kill him.

For a related question, is there a list anywhere of things that will prevent you from finishing the new content?

I'm not looking for anything too spoiler-y, or like "killing all the dwarves in dwarftown will fail it", but I'm worried I'm going to play for 10 hours and then find out you needed to talk to an NPC while Chaotic but it had to be before you reached level 15. Or you have to give the golden gladius to a different NPC. Or weird things like that which would make it permanently missable.

Quote Originally Posted by hapro View Post
    For a related question, is there a list anywhere of things that will prevent you from finishing the new content?
    To finish all of the new content:
    1. Don't kill any dwarves except for dwarven chaos knights.
    2. Don't anger any of the new dwarf NPCs until you have gotten something from them.
    3. Don't play chaos knight.
    4. Get Rolf's Savior and Rolf's Companion (axe + shield).

aaah, dwarves are untouchable now... clever, Thomas, clever... and stupid me, stupid... bye bye barbarian, will keep your save somewhere...

thanks, Grond, you saved me a week of my real life ;-)
    munch munch munch

Some spoilers ahead:

I like the idea of a new area and quest-line, and I'm really excited about all the new stuff, but I am not a fan of getting locked out of content. In my opinion it doesn't encourage you to play spoiler-free.
    I played one character to realize killing Hotzenplotz angered a new npc that I never even saw on my route to Hotzenplotz, thus locking me out of the new content. Then I made a new char, reached the dwarf fortress just to find out that the one dwarf I had on my kill list prevented me from advancing. I don't think any of these requirements are that hard to meet, and very reasonable to figure out on your own, but I think the not killing dwarves thing is just nasty, because you only realize it after you already thought you had succeeded. By the time you finally make it to the fortress, you've obviously already spent a lot of time and effort to solve the clues and to find all the map fragments, and you're probably really excited that you actually made it and found the place.
    And then to have all that thwarted by the realization that you've just been locked out forever because of a seemingly unrelated and trivial action you did way back halfway around the world is extremely disheartening.
    Now I've resorted to fully spoiling myself on this matter because I'm tired of getting new chars through half the game just to realize I have to restart if I want to access the new content.

I suppose it's ok, because this is not required to finish the game, and a sort of a bonus area... I'm just pissed about wasting two characters and lots of time.
    The only other major content I can think of that you can lock yourself easily out of is ultra ending and the associated quests (get crowned too early, not saving khelly...etc),
    but ultra is much more cryptic anyways, so you're likely not to even find out about it let alone succeed without spoilers. The dwarf-killing thing is not really solving a clue, it's the game pretty clearly telling you "hey, dwarves are cats now...shouldn't have killed that random hostile dwarf at D5...", and just feels cheap at that point.
    Last edited by GoblinRockThrower; 10-21-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinRockThrower View Post
    Some spoilers ahead:

I like the idea of a new area and quest-line, and I'm really excited about all the new stuff, but I am not a fan of getting locked out of content. In my opinion it doesn't encourage you to play spoiler-free.
    I played one character to realize killing Hotzenplotz angered a new npc that I never even saw on my route to Hotzenplotz, thus locking me out of the new content. Then I made a new char, reached the dwarf fortress just to find out that the one dwarf I had on my kill list prevented me from advancing. I don't think any of these requirements are that hard to meet, and very reasonable to figure out on your own, but I think the not killing dwarves thing is just nasty, because you only realize it after you already thought you had succeeded. By the time you finally make it to the fortress, you've obviously already spent a lot of time and effort to solve the clues and to find all the map fragments, and you're probably really excited that you actually made it and found the place.
    And then to have all that thwarted by the realization that you've just been locked out forever because of a seemingly unrelated and trivial action you did way back halfway around the world is extremely disheartening.
    Now I've resorted to fully spoiling myself on this matter because I'm tired of getting new chars through half the game just to realize I have to restart if I want to access the new content.

I suppose it's ok, because this is not required to finish the game, and a sort of a bonus area... I'm just pissed about wasting two characters and lots of time.
    The only other major content I can think of that you can lock yourself easily out of is ultra ending and the associated quests (get crowned too early, not saving khelly...etc),
    but ultra is much more cryptic anyways, so you're likely not to even find out about it let alone succeed without spoilers. The dwarf-killing thing is not really solving a clue, it's the game pretty clearly telling you "hey, dwarves are cats now...shouldn't have killed that random hostile dwarf at D5...", and just feels cheap at that point.
    Adom have a lot of that stuff, not only cat quest and lawful specific item but it's always been a game of "throw a 100+ characters and try to solve x", one small mistake and RIP.

I've got a decent char going for Rolf but wouldn't be the slightest surprised if I messed it up.

On the other hand if I succeed, that'd be awesome, if the game said oh do you really want to do that, it would mess up Rolf quest then I'd wonder what was wrong with the game.

I can understand the frustration but thats adom for you.

Just roll a new char and go at it again or take a break and play something else inbetween.

The need for metagaming is too high in this game. "Ultra" endings is another huge example.

While we're at it, I really don't like the idea of the random map fragment.

I cleared most of the game, two greater vaults and all the side dungeons(also the emperor minotaur didn't drop a randart, is that a new nerf?), and just did the ToEF. No 6th fragment in sight.
    I'm diving for the last levels of CoC now, but I won't be surprised if none of the temples/vaults drop the frag.

At this point this is even worse than Ultra ending requirements. At least we can wish for scrolls of danger, wands and whatever else we need for the crone, but this is not the case with the map fragments, which are artifacts.