Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.3.6 made me pretty angry

Default 2.3.6 made me pretty angry

I'm finding several bugs in all of the changes and I cant play without getting interrupted every 5-10 miniutes by the game crashing. I also dislike the changes to key commands. It was annoying to learn them all, and now their changing. I don't want to relearn the interface again. I don't want to crash. I don't want to have update no matter what.

I'm loosing items left and right due to RNG (backup then crash). I feel like someone took ADOM from me.

It's possible to go back to v72, but not easy. And complicated by Steam and the fact that the v72 exe seems to have been changed but without incrementing the version #. I don't think I've seen concise instructions to revert.

I haven't ran into any bugs that crash the game, but I have seen a few minor things. You should probably report the bugs so they can get fixed.

I do agree with the keybinding changes, I don't like them that much either.

I'm having a blast in new versio. 2.3.5 beta had multiple no-no bugs that made it extremely annoying to play. I haven't encountered any bugs in new 2.3.6.

I partly agree that some keybinding changes are rather cumbersome. They are mainly improvements to old ones and only one I have found infuriating is door opening pop up box that asks what you want to do with the door after bumping it. In this case I would much rather have the old behavior with only question if you want to open the door with Y/n option. Now you have to press 'o'pen every time you bump door instead of pressing SPACE and 'k'icking if door is locked and no key is found in inventory.

Thankfully TB changed it so that space can open doors in the next version. Hopefully that comes out soon and fixed some bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mitres View Post
    It's possible to go back to v72, but not easy. And complicated by Steam and the fact that the v72 exe seems to have been changed but without incrementing the version #. I don't think I've seen concise instructions to revert.
    I think you can choose to run any betas in right click game, properties, betas. R72 beta might differ from public version yes.

Speaking of steam, 2.3.6 refused to update from 2.3.5 untill i disabled betas....
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

TL;DR Re-add Esc for Spellbook.

After playing around with the commands I can respect all the changes except for Esc no longer opening learned spells. It seemingly doesn't do anything anymore (aside from making other commands not work and cancelling menus, which it didn't do before) and I really don't want to use Shift-Z whenever I want to use spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    only one I have found infuriating is door opening pop up box that asks what you want to do with the door after bumping it. In this case I would much rather have the old behavior with only question if you want to open the door with Y/n option. Now you have to press 'o'pen every time you bump door instead of pressing SPACE and 'k'icking if door is locked and no key is found in inventory.

COMPLETELY agree! I can't second this enough. Many older players are so used to pressing 'y' or SPACE and it's really throwing us off to have such a common action change (plus, the pop-up boxes break immersion).

Quote Originally Posted by Jarinex View Post
    Thankfully TB changed it so that space can open doors in the next version. Hopefully that comes out soon and fixed some bugs.

That's great, it's an improvement - but personally I still think it'd be a nicer solution to also include the original keybindings and process as a toggleable option in the Settings menu for us old-timers.
    You constantly practice. You feel exhausted!

Quote Originally Posted by Avail View Post
    TL;DR Re-add Esc for Spellbook.

After playing around with the commands I can respect all the changes except for Esc no longer opening learned spells. It seemingly doesn't do anything anymore (aside from making other commands not work and cancelling menus, which it didn't do before)
    Seems like we should be able to get it back for Spells then.

Quote Originally Posted by mitres View Post
    Seems like we should be able to get it back for Spells then.
    AFAIK the plan is to introduce an ESC menu and/or make it automatically cancel pop-up windows and menus, but it's a shame this is putting some people off.
    You constantly practice. You feel exhausted!