Thread: Hostile Assassin Prince, Possible to continue with ULE?

Default Hostile Assassin Prince, Possible to continue with ULE?

(Edit: You can still receive the quest from a hostile Assassin Prince. In this case I made alarm gong ringing by using ranged attacks, however after holding Needle, I was still able to get Filk Quest from the hostile Assassin Prince)

I'm a fairly experienced player, recently started playing ADOM again.

I played a Female Mist Elf Mindcrafter born in Candle, Heir starting talent lucky [0,7] Robe, and uses a staff as my main weapon.

Everything was going well, Mugger first kill, Started game on 30th of August to guarantee an AOLS.

Went to SMC, got blanket, came out, killed Raider Lord, got all 6 keys from cloaked ratling (Traps are scary for Mist Elves, got Sixth Sense as level 3 talent)

Cleared all starting dungeons, went to HMV, went to dwarftown, did first quest, on second quest encountered some danger from running out of booze and teleport charges (1 left) on D15, and realising that trees are immune to mindcraft confusion now, i felt it was too dangerous and likely to die a slow painful death if i went back to forest. I decided to go back up the DH. A moloch did a critical hit to me and almost killed me. Lucky I took the Speed Line talent before Immune to Pain Line, was able to outrun some dangerous monsters. Encountering a Lightning Vortex without Lightning Resistance was scary. Shot him with arrows and finished him off with Wand of Acid.

Drank a PoEx and got STR > LEARN and WILL > TOUGH. got 24 STR and 22 TOUGH and things were looking really good. After Morgia training I thought it's time to drink stat potions.

Went out of CoC and decided to clear some side quests (Dwarven Grave and Pyramid) for level 18 (IMO the ultimate Mindcrafter power). Went to see old barbarian, decided to go VDDL to train up Detect Traps, and kill another 20 muggers while doing that in VDDL for Courage Quest.

Went in and started started killing assassins fairly mindlessly, and only start to confuse if I lose hp, I was heading towards the Assassin Prince. One Grey @ slipped away and panicked, and I can't chase up to him.

Here is when my experience kicks me in the arse, my reflex reaction was to load arrows and shoot him and make him run back to me.

An alarm gong is rung!

Now is there a way to continue doing an ULE run?
    Last edited by Feiyun; 11-12-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Question Resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Feiyun View Post
    Here is when my experience kicks me in the arse, my reflex reaction was to load arrows and shoot him and make him run back to me.

An alarm gong is rung!

Now is there a way to continue doing an ULE run?
    Have you chatted with him? I have vague memories of him assigning quest while being hostile, but having attacked him might bedifferent.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Have you chatted with him? I have vague memories of him assigning quest while being hostile, but having attacked him might bedifferent.
    No definitely haven't talked to him yet. I'm only lv18 and no match for this guy in melee. However as a mindcrafter I can kill him, just no way I'm standing within melee range with him even if confused. I was about to crown myself and forfeit the ULE run. Maybe I should just continue on and see anyways?

I haven't attacked the prince, just shot an panicking assassin. I even put my bow away in my last run *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Feiyun View Post
    No definitely haven't talked to him yet. I'm only lv18 and no match for this guy in melee. However as a mindcrafter I can kill him, just no way I'm standing within melee range with him even if confused. I was about to crown myself and forfeit the ULE run. Maybe I should just continue on and see anyways?

I haven't attacked the prince, just shot an panicking assassin. I even put my bow away in my last run *facepalm*
    Pretty sure if you have not attacked him quest will be given. Ultras have no sneak in aspect in them.

On other note... wtf you are doing in there at lv18? There is no real reason to be in there other then activating the quest.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Hijacking this thread for my own ultra related question. How deep is it realistic to dive ID for Filk? Didn't think of doing ultra so just splattered skeleton as first kill. That is if I remember it correctly. Kill count is 57 and have been paying extra attention after getting AoLS.

57 isn't that bad. Be careful with monster detection and have teleports available.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    wtf you are doing in there at lv18? There is no real reason to be in there other then activating the quest.
    As a mindcrafter who has managed to find a mugger as first kill, I usually dive in there to train up detect traps and disarm traps, and use eye of mind to kill another 20 muggers for courage quest. If I am confident against a fight with a black slayer I will go in, but just for mindcrafters. It's minor improvement on overall survivability I know, but for ULE runs I tend to do that sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    Hijacking this thread for my own ultra related question. How deep is it realistic to dive ID for Filk? Didn't think of doing ultra so just splattered skeleton as first kill. That is if I remember it correctly. Kill count is 57 and have been paying extra attention after getting AoLS.
    I would hate to go beyond SIL. I almost always start by killing bandit mugger beggars, and don't want to dive too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    How deep is it realistic to dive ID for Filk?
    Realistic.. idk. Diving 54 levels would be a grind, but still not as bad as SIL. Having to dive much deeper than that is going to be more and more difficult and painful. So if you manage to avoid killing more than a few skeletons from now on, you should be okay. Regenerate levels often to get easier stair locations and to avoid difficult threat rooms.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I have given up on ULE, got crowned with Havlor, FGC Greater Vault contained Vanquisher, easy trip down the minotaur maze confusing minotaurs and walls, got Axe and Preserver.

I will however get to level 45 and come back to visit Assassin Prince and see whether the Filk Quest is still available then and let people know.

Level 32 and down at the D:45 Greater Vault. 2 Wishes unused. Should be able to complete the game soon. If still not enough exp I will wish for Emperor Moloch to get to 45.

Edit: Chaos gate closed. Fisty was kinda tough without enough protection, but a PoCC was enough to disable his powers. Wished for Emperor Moloch and the hostile Assassin Prince still assigned the quest. Problem solved. Now my Mist Elf Mindcrafter can head home.
    Last edited by Feiyun; 11-12-2017 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Problem Solved