Thread: Hostile Drunken Dwarf

Default Hostile Drunken Dwarf

Here we go again guys, last time it was Assassin Prince, now in this new release 81, I have just angered the drunken dwarf.

Short story: Killed crime lord, dwarf became hostile. Didn't speak to dwarf prior. No chance to find Rolf?

Longer story:

A brand new ME Mindcrafter plans to set foot in Rolf's castle and explore the new quests. Why ME Mindcrafter again? To fulfill my dream of having a Staff of Creation wielding Mindcrafter!

*Spoiler*

I cheated by ......
    rolling a character on the 22nd of Aug and after talent selection immediately changed system date to 2nd Jul.

*End Spoiler*

So my self-imposed challenge of a dungeon sweeping staff-wielding mindcrafter started the game by killing a outlaw after running round the criminal city for 2 circles and not spotting a mugger. Dungeon sweeping meaning that the character must not leave the dungeon level if he hasn't picked up everything visible on the floor, and will need to starve to death slowly if he cannot deal with it (leaving the floor very clean).

Some fancy staves were around in the SMC. Unfortunately the dungeon layout was too dangerous to get water blanket, and character retreated out of the SMC at level 4. equip ID a staff and got Staff of Thunderclap. Searches wiki and got excited. Claw bugs are no longer a hazard to me early game now. It also serves as my main weapon.

Cleared all the beginner dungeons, best loot was a 6 str bracer of strength. Just makes dungeon sweeping a bit easier.
    Found an anvil, and luckily it got demolished after smashing the 2nd last door on the entire level.
    Found an ultra heavy crude spear. Had to pack it and was running on Strained!. Luckily a rust monster saved the day. Fed all my iron crap to him. Back to burdened.
    Every time i reach the surface, all junk is dumped in the wilderness.
    I reached a pool. normally i totally ignore pools, but this time I thought might as well learn to deal with the negatives and start sipping.
    +Cold +Lightning +Doom -Lucky. Oh well. Lets head out of UD towards HMV, quickly. Altars are available in PC1.
    Flesh Golem and Clay Golem almost chased me to death while doomed. Prayed for HP, lined the 2 up and used 5 magic missile wand charges.
    Might as well kill the oracle. I'm doomed anyways. +3 Learning +1 Mana.
    Time to head to Altar. Went to visit Old Barbarian, and started killing wilderness outlaws. Back we went to crime city and locked up crime lord and blasted him to death with mind blast. Outlaws start coming to me and I killed them all. Hmm, 8 more kills for Courage.
    Funny t chasing me. Who is this? Ah shit, RIP Rolf Quest.

For the future tries you should talk to the dwarf and solve the riddle immediately when visiting Hole in the Wall (Lawenilothehl) first time. It will trigger the map fragment spawning in ID. The map fragment will always jump to your inventory when leaving the level so you can't miss it. And if you want to double check the level number just visit the town and see his name. That you can, of course, do even if he's hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    For the future tries you should talk to the dwarf and solve the riddle immediately when visiting Hole in the Wall (Lawenilothehl) first time. It will trigger the map fragment spawning in ID. The map fragment will always jump to your inventory when leaving the level so you can't miss it. And if you want to double check the level number just visit the town and see his name. That you can, of course, do even if he's hostile.
    Yeah this is my first release 81 run. Forgot about it the first time over to town, should have spoken to him ASAP. I was busy searching for a mugger to kill and had a train of assassins, outlaws and bandits chasing me around the town. I managed to go under Barnaba's store and confused them all and escaped from town. Next time I came for keys from Skriek. Next time I was back I totally forgot about it...

This character just managed to kill a cat too. Pressed Alt+i then 6 then a cat died. Meant to be Ctrl+i then 6. A character that is meant to avoid all cats and dwarves easily just managed to spoil both questlines

Quote Originally Posted by Feiyun View Post
    Yeah this is my first release 81 run. Forgot about it the first time over to town, should have spoken to him ASAP. I was busy searching for a mugger to kill and had a train of assassins
    Is assassin really much worse than mugger for a first kill?

IIRC, if you do not attack NPC directly, they can be calmed down allowing to kill the pet. It has been a while since I tried that in paractice, things might have changed.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I can't say conclusively since I only had him kill 1 pet, but it did not calm him down (in the past, I have managed to calm an enemy down with 1 pet). It might be a random chance every time they kill a pet, or it could be a special case where after Hotzenplotz is dead, they're just permanently aggressive. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Is assassin really much worse than mugger for a first kill?

IIRC, if you do not attack NPC directly, they can be calmed down allowing to kill the pet. It has been a while since I tried that in paractice, things might have changed.
    To be honest all the Outlaws Bandits and Assassins are fair call for first kill, and fairly easy to control. It's just that the Assassins and Outlaw Leaders are too risky even when confused, especially at level 1 confusion can last as short as 1 turn. I did end up choosing an Outlaw.

As a mindcrafter, it's one the few classes that have the luxury to go around the town safely and seeking a mugger, who will NEVER appear elsewhere except VDDL and the crime town, in case 2 days later I play the game I forget what went on. I don't think my mindcrafters ever died to running around the town, except 1 unlucky person got critically hit by confused muggers.