Thread: Adom 1.1.1 vs New Release(s)

Default Adom 1.1.1 vs New Release(s)

Is there a thread on this already?

I am interested in other opinions on ADOM the old school vs the new school. Personally I like the new races, classes, and bug fixes, but, I find some of the new content is annoying, especially when i get killed by these things! haha. I am also wondering if there are any mods, like adom sage, that might reconcile these differences.
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

I hated Vile Spirits on release... not sure how much they've been rebalanced since I've had them turned off and I haven't paid that much attention.

Aside from that I'm good with pretty much everything else.

I personally see no redeeming value in shifting dungeon sections...

The shifting dungeons are worth it the first couple of times, just for the sheer novelty, but I agree that they get annoying pretty quick.

I think the idea is that the shifting dungeons are annoying. Like most things in ADOM I don't imagine they're there to make your adventure easier. And they are rare enough that they don't interfere heavily in every single game you play.

Maybe getting shifted into a wall should result in instant death. Would make the things a bit less boring at least.

I learn about all the new features as they kill me! I love the new ADOM releases, they give the game some new life. That being said ADoM 1.1.1 seems to be my favorite and I keep going back to it. Though I do wish ADoM 1.1.1 had the new races/classes and bugfixes, without all the random extra items and shifting dungeons, etc.
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

Shifting walls are nice - they give you a way to get away from cats, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    Is there a thread on this already?

I am interested in other opinions on ADOM the old school vs the new school. Personally I like the new races, classes, and bug fixes, but, I find some of the new content is annoying, especially when i get killed by these things! haha. I am also wondering if there are any mods, like adom sage, that might reconcile these differences.
    There are a lot of bugs fixed and things that didn't work/drop etc.
    Some of the old bugs were used/abused and those being fixed could be detrimental to your interest.
    This probably mean you need to relearn stuff.

While I did play muds, I never got too invested into adoms ascii and I really like the tile graphics, not everyone does however.

The latest versions have had some nice improvements on commands (for example you can now drop everything except a few marked, filter in situations where filtering was not an option etc) , again that means you need to relearn stuff ...

And then theres the new items, classes and areas.

I do agree with the crowd here that Vile spirits are best disabled.

I did dislike shifting floors but I have found use of them and that gave me more than just loud noise.