Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor Challenges

Default Minor Challenges

These are just some personal challenges I occasionally use to keep things interesting. What do you do to keep the game from getting repetitive/boring?

1. Play a monk or beastfighter and only fight unarmed (wands and potions are still okay, but no arrows or rocks)

2. Play a hurthling merchant attacking only with thrown coins (No Melee at all - wands can only be used for escape or dopplegangers.)

3. Try and do the village dungeon and then make it to dwarftown while being sick as often as possible via kobald corpses(I've only ever managed this once. As a candle-born drakeling healer)

4. Play as a true berserkering barbarian for the entire game.(I've never won like this, furthest I've ever gotten was the earth temple.)

5. Play a vegetarian(cakes and fish are fine but no rations/corpses or other meats. - I recommend a farmer or ranger born under the falcon star sign.)

6. Leave the dwarftown demon alive.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

1. Min-stats, starved: Use point buy and debilitating hunger. Get the lowest possible attributes with point buy, then wait at the start until you gain the Starved status. Remain Starved for the entire game.
    2. No pickup man: The chaos orbs are the only items you are allowed to pick up from the ground. Any other items must be obtained through alternate means.
    3. Always use your precrowning and crowning gifts, regardless of their quality.
    4. Play a non-monk, non-beastfighter and only fight unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostjghost View Post
    2. Play a hurthling merchant attacking only with thrown coins (No Melee at all - wands can only be used for escape or dopplegangers.)
    Dopplegangers can't deflect thrown coins, no need for that exception.
    Last edited by Grond; 12-25-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    [LIST=1]
    Dopplegangers can't deflect thrown coins, no need for that exception.

Good to know

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

[QUOTE=Grond;113440]
    1. No pickup man: The chaos orbs are the only items you are allowed to pick up from the ground. Any other items must be obtained through alternate means.

that sounds nigh impossible!

So one could use initial equipment, herbalism and gardening, wishing, items stuffed in the backpack by the mystic, eating food off the ground, survival, pickpocketing, and ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    that sounds nigh impossible!

So one could use initial equipment, herbalism and gardening, wishing, items stuffed in the backpack by the mystic, eating food off the ground, survival, pickpocketing, and ???
    Herbs are debatable, but I consider gathering them to be picking up an item (I guess a more formal definition would be no pick up commands, no autopickup). Serious spoiler warning, as thinking about this run is sadly much more interesting than doing attempts:

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Ratling traders place food directly into the backpack.
    Where do you get money to pay them? Manufacturing Si jump into backpack?

Some time ago i used to play headhunter -- have one and only one kill of each monster (can skip rarities like in order not to grind wishes).
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Dwarven mystic puts stuff straight into backpack as well, and that would be the only way to get items of corruption removal that i can think of (besides wishes). I'm not sure if any quest givers put their rewards in the backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Where do you get money to pay them? Manufacturing Si jump into backpack?
    Pick pockets. IIRC Si is one of the artifacts that monsters won't pick up initially.

1. Get crowned or precrowned in the small cave. I've done all alignments.
    2. Do the above with a Chaos knights (not super hard, although not stepping on the alter can be tricky) and then go forward in the game without becoming a fallen champion. It's is quite challenging because you have so many corruptions early, you have increased corruption rate, you cant change alignment without major repercussions and nobody talks to C- chaos knights. But it can also be easy-ish because their gifts can be insane.
    3. Do a naked run through the UD - I've tried going farther but the game becomes less fun and more tedious. (These are minor challenges after all and not major ones)
    4. Win using whips. You can use unarmed at the start of the game until you find a whip. Extra challenging variant would be no missiles/magic.
    5. Do the frog quest (I've actually never done this but it's on my list of to-dos)
    6. Complete the game illiterate.
    7. A challenge game that I recently thought of is "Thirsty" where you have to drink every potion on pick up and from every pool until drained right away. Extra hard if you add in the atheist challenge as well.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by ghostjghost View Post
    These are just some personal challenges I occasionally use to keep things interesting. What do you do to keep the game from getting repetitive/boring?

1. Play a monk or beastfighter and only fight unarmed (wands and potions are still okay, but no arrows or rocks)

3. Try and do the village dungeon and then make it to dwarftown while being sick as often as possible via kobald corpses(I've only ever managed this once. As a candle-born drakeling healer)

4. Play as a true berserkering barbarian for the entire game.(I've never won like this, furthest I've ever gotten was the earth temple.)

5. Play a vegetarian(cakes and fish are fine but no rations/corpses or other meats. - I recommend a farmer or ranger born under the falcon star sign.)

6. Leave the dwarftown demon alive.
    Minor challenges? wow

There's few things more interesting than throwing a new character into ud.

I tend to throw away a lot of characters somewhere around dwarftown, I do ud->hmw, terinyo quests, some or all of dwarf quests maybe pyramid and then not bothering with the rest, in extreme cases just when I've entered hmw and my character feels bland.

Most of them have been copied aside, not sure why but theres probably 100+ unfinished characters lying around in separate folders on my computer.