Thread: Is melee combat underpowered? (possible spoilers)

Default Is melee combat underpowered? (possible spoilers)

I often see advice against meleeing bosses and certain dangerous monsters, while magic or missile use seems to constitute a safer way to play the game in general. Do you think there are too many enemies that can fairly easily kill one at close quarters?

Either melee in underpowered or ranged and magic are overpowered, depending on how you look at it. Monsters can do a lot more scary stuff in melee: multiple attacks mixed with breath weapons and spells (only one attack per action at range), blind raging to get even more attacks, PV bypassing, paralysis, etc. Melee doesn't really get any benefits to compensate for the risks, and ranged and magic don't really get any drawbacks to offset their safety.

But I don't think the game is unfairly difficult if you focus on melee. Perhaps there just need to be more monsters that pose a greater challenge to magic and ranged. Maybe some monsters that gain speed whenever magic is used (similar to Andor), or just some monsters that deal more damage at a distance than they do in melee.

I don't believe the melee attack of characters is generally too weak, the problem is more that very few monsters have a strong ranged attack. Once you accumulate proper resistances in the mid game, only Titans pose any real danger from a distance. Even the ACW cannot deal more than about 100 damage from range, whereas in melee range you risk that a monster might have a blind rage and highroll on his attacks.

Some characters are arguably even a little OP in melee (especially duelists and characters wielding the AotME), and you can exploit fast movement to prevent monsters from hitting you back. It is very much possible to kill every monster in melee for characters such as a duelist, although ranged attacks still tend to be a bit safer if you are a coward.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 12-26-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezur View Post
    I often see advice against meleeing bosses and certain dangerous monsters, while magic or missile use seems to constitute a safer way to play the game in general. Do you think there are too many enemies that can fairly easily kill one at close quarters?
    Well, lots of monsters have multiple attacks at close range. Even if titans are a threat at range, you might prefer being shot instead of getting 4+ melee attacks each of which might crit. Multiple attacks also somewhat negate saving throw... It's cute that crit reduced you to 1HP, but hey it's still three more attacks incoming. Also stat drains and other nasty effects...

I think more of problem is that none of monsters is a threat from range more than in melee (titan, maybe, but one vs one I'd rather stay in range).

p.s. the only range drawback I can recall is mobs (but char also) having higher multiplier on criticals. Ranged can go up to 6x through rolls, while melee is stable 2x
    Last edited by Soirana; 12-26-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I see melee, ranged and spells all as tools which I try to make use of.
    Using only one or even two out of the three tools can be a challenge (for me atleast it is).
    Melee stuff that you know you can face tank, save ammo, spells/charges for when they are needed.

On top of the number of heavy hitting attacks, bosses and late game monsters tend to rage when hurt, which means even more attacks that can easily make mince meat out of the foolhardy character.

Monsters all around the game have things like stat drain, confusion and other nasty things that you'd want to avoid by using some non melee tool.

Spellcasters and wizards in particular are considered easier to play compared to those that struggle learning spells.

If melee was made easier/less dangerous you wouldn't need range/spells, so yes melee probably is underpowered but I think it needs to be that way.