Thread: Returning Player Questions

Default Returning Player Questions

Hello Everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I have played on and off for about 6 years. Usually I play obsessively for months and then have to quit because it takes up too much of my time. Hoping I can finally get my first win as last time I quit after losing a promising PC in a Greater Undead Vault (D:46?) and then another in the Mana Temple.

Right now I am coming off of a break and decided to finally buy Adom on Steam to support Thomas. I have not played much at all since the updates to the game ((1.2.0)?). This is really the best game I have ever played and I'm not sure why I was slow to jump on the train.

However now I have a few problems with the Steam version's configuration. First I find the ASCII version sometimes lags just the slightest bit, something that never happened on the free version. Would love to fix this because I will always only play on ASCII mode. Second and more importantly, can someone please direct me on how to turn off the annoying pop up messages? I already know all of the keyboard commands and do not need them showing up on the bottom right or popping up every time I open a door.

ALSO, would love just a hint as to if anything ever came up about the weird tome since the updates? or if the creater has promised something about this?

OK FINALLY, is there anything major new danger added I should know about? or locations a returning player must visit?

Axes High!

OK also what is this standard mode vs roguelike mode? Roguelike mode is the game I know and love right?

Hard is the traditional mode.

There are several new locations, none that you have to visit, most are really dangerous.

As far as I know, there is no way to turn off popup messages presently.

I don't know about anything new in regards to the weird tome, but there have been some developments in regards to the scroll of omnipotence apparently as a post gate closing quest/thing to do which requires you to get a new guaranteed artifact in the final level of the Minotaur maze beforehand. (The wiki's not finished yet and I don't ever do the Minotaur maze, so I haven't checked for myself yet.)

Cant help with the ascii problem as It doesn't scale right on my computer so I don't use that mode anymore, but If I had to guess what was causing the lag I would imagine it has to do with the health bars now over the monsters heads. (I don't think you can remove that either.)

Major new danger - Vile spirit's - basically a shadow version of a previous character that died (or a friends character if your steam friends also play adom) they have the stat drains of shadows and all the equipment of the dead character and can appear wherever that character died which can potentially make a very dangerous monster for a character that comes after a trap door death in VD1(had that happen, fought and died to the character I had just lost on VD 1 to a trap.) fortunately these can be turned off by editing the config file. (I think they made it where you can disable them in the in-game settings also.)

Boss monsters will occasionally spawn now - usually not too dangerous, but also usually a lot harder than their normal counterparts. (I.E. boss goblin much stronger than regular goblin.)

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family